Whats Are The Essentials You Require While Camping?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by perkin steel, Aug 2, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. perkin steel

perkin steel Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    List up all essential which are required while camping ;);)

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    A good mentality. If you don't' have a strong mind, you can't face danger. (I'm assuming we're talking about camping because society collapsed).

A 72 hour kit, so that you can be more mobile. Food, water, the basics. Tools.

perkin steel likes this.
  3. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    A water proof sheet like a tarp, a knife, fire starter kit, a means of purifying water, first aid kit, flashlight (I prefer the ones that need no batteries), food and water, small cooking pot, a map and if you know how to use it a compass, change of clothing.
    Most other things you could make or acquire your self later on if you know how.
    I have these and a few more items in my B.O.B.

perkin steel likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    a tent or a tarp, some places don't have trees to tie a tarp to, like moorland.
    sleeping bag or blanket.
    first aid kit.
    a flashlight, although it is possible to make one from natural materials.
    a cooking vessel, billy can.
    fire starting equipment.
    water purifying tablets or a filter, although you could just boil it. or make one with sand and charcoal from your fire.
    I would also maybe add something like a "Hobo" stove, I made one out of a medium sized can, this will confine the smoke and flames from your fire and you wont need so much tinder and firewood.
    obviously a good knife and a sharpening stone.
    some food and water to start with although it probably wont last long, there is a limit to how much anyone can carry.
    how about a basic fishing kit? some line and hooks.

Radar and perkin steel like this.
  5. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    A fishing kit would be a good idea even if there's no immediate place to fish you could possibly use the fishing line for a snare if you know how to make one.

lonewolf likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A tent preferably we have monster mosquitos
    a med kit
    fire makings
    bedroll.
    a large kukri
    a water filter
    canteen
    a pot

7. Travis.s

Travis.s Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    Why dose everyone claim to have monster mosquitos?
    Is it some kind of contest I didn't get the memo for?
    But yes i have to agree there all definitely essentials for most environments TexDanm

8. perkin steel

133/173

Blog Posts:
  9. perkin steel

133/173

Blog Posts:

Beer is required or not?:):):)

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Brandy or rum weigh a lot less but truthfully I don't usually drink alcohol while sleeping outdoors. I tend to be an early riser and a hangover just ruins the whole experience for me...water, tea or coffee will do for me and they're easier to carry.

11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't mix my pleasures. When I camp I like to soak up the peace I find in the outdoors. I am the same way about my fishing. Why dull my senses when I'm doing one of my favorite things. I like my beer pretty well but it is for home or a friends place sitting around a fire, in the pool or on the porch and swapping stories. For me it is a social thing. Oh and when my wife and I are watching football. Great time to get slightly snockered and gripe about the referees. My wife is my favorite drinking buddy. I don't do bars because I can't relax around a bunch of drunk strangers. I'm just to paranoid to enjoy that.

I am however a good half german and Scott I drink but don't have hangovers and do like my beer. When I'm camping I will occasionally have a snort in the evening so I sleep good. For this "medicinal" use I carry a flask of pure 99% alcohol. I actually like the burn of good White Lightening or even Everclear. I'm old and beat up. I hurt a lot and don't do pills for pain ever.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  12. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    Tex danm i will trade you arctic mosquitoes for texas mosquitoes
    a357f080fcae9669c0cf05a29cb16c0e.jpeg

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    From the looks of that picture we are facing about the same thing. I've heard about your Mosquitoes. A friend of mine got eaten alive on a fishing trip to Alaska. He also talked about some sort of tiny biting fly. We don't do anything small here so I guess it could be worse.

I moved my post that you are responding to to the topic about bugs and mosquitos. Sorry you hadn't posted when I did it.

14. perkin steel

133/173

Blog Posts:
    "mosquitoes" can be also prevented with using the the things found in forest.

2c98832dbbe25d7db1cf7ef6c5936bd5.jpeg

15. perkin steel

133/173

Blog Posts:
    Sorry but you are listing the thing which are required for a family trip.

16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Fires work on mosquitoes in part because they locate you and are attracted by the carbon dioxide you exhale. A fire provides a lot of that and makes it harder for them to locate you specifically. Besides it also cooks the little monsters if they get too close and anything that kills them is a plus. Smoke in general seems to run them off so I keep a few green bundles of pine needles handy to throw on the coals when the fire burns down.

perkin steel likes this.
    1. perkin steel
      Taxdanm, is it true that mosquitoes are attracted by co2 ? I really don't know.

perkin steel, Sep 5, 2018
  17. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Tex is quite correct perkin steel, mossies are attracted to your breath. I used to burn buffalo dung in the Territory to help keep the mossies at bay, but they were thick up in the Top End & one could not avoid getting bitten at night.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The salt marsh mosquitoes are the worst that I've even dealt with. Their bite is more of a sting than a bite. It's like they are poking you with red hot needles. A boat load of dummies ran up the Black Bayou just off the Texas Louisiana border. They ran up on a mud flat and burned up their motor. When the sun went down they got out of the boat and started wading through the saw grass with the gators and snakes. They all said that ANYTHING was better than staying in that boat being eaten alive.

They were found two days later. They had found a beat up on Duck camp in the swamp and hid there. That hut up on posts in the swamp is about the only reason that they survived. They all looked like they were nearly eaten alive with skin 100% totally covered with bites.

I used to fish there all the time and may have actually seen them that day. It was Wednesday and there weren't many boats on the water that day. When it got dark if I wasn't out I put on a heavy PVC rain gear with overalls jacket and a hood. I would put on gloves and a mesh head cover after taping my wrists and ankles with duct tape.

19. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Are you referring to an ordinary camping trip PS, or are you talking about bugging out long term in the bush?
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We like to camp and if we are going to stay put I will set up a compound. I have a big tarp that I can put up so that we have a large covered area for a kitchen, dining area and living room. Then depending on how many are with us we set up tents around this 20 X 40 covered area. When I go solo I go pretty minimalist and only what I can carry on my back. I love to go camping in West Texas. It is arid and the mosquitoes are no problem at all. Out there about all I need is a tarp and a bedroll along with minimal basic water, food, fire and cooking supplies. I like to get close to nature. My girls like to see it but don't want to have it in their face.

LOL, I am not bothered by snakes, gators or any other critters two or four legged but the mosquitoes and biting flies are just a misery. What is funny is that I am almost impervious to them as long as I have someone with me to be my skeeter bait. I think it is because I was raised in a swampy area and spent my childhood hunting, fishing and camping in the swamps. Then my first real job was working in the rice fields. Any normal amount of mosquitoes just isn't noticeable to me. If there is anyone else there they will eat them alive and not bother m at all.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I really don't need any essentials , I have on cold nights piled up leaves and simply burrowed under them for the night . I could think of a lot of stuff I would like to have but there isn't any essentials .

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a little pocket size kit that is the size of my wallet that covers my essentials. I could survive butt naked but will prefer to skip that in my old age. It has a poncho, a space blanket. foil, a tube with wire,hooks, line and sinkers, a condom, a tiny compass, a ferocerium rod, a tube with matches, a tube with greased cotton, a folding credit card knife, four water purification tabs and a garbage bag. I put it all together and then vacuum seal it in a heavy plastic. This will keep me dry, warm, watered and fed.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.