What's The Most Essential Item To Have During A Storm?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 2, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I live in a country where storms are common from May until December each year. Some storms vary from just a few dark clouds, to flooding entire districts and uprooting trees, while raining heavily for weeks at a time. What's the most important item to have when you are stuck in the middle of a storm? Clearly food rations are a must, but what about flashlights and other modern devices? Would they be as useful as a cabinet full of canned goods?

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Most essential is to have as many brain cells as one can muster!

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Shelter to protect you and your gear and supplies yousickfood stores ruined and gear rusty and useless none of that is goid for longterm survival

4. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think a flashlight and in my case water since if the power goes out we have no water either, since everything is controlled by an electric pump. At least we have a gas grill we can cook on if need be.

5. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Shelter, food, water... but I guess you have plenty of that if it's a storm (you can collect it). Then, of course, I'd suggest medkit, flashlight, clothes so you change if you get wet... I think those are the essentials. Perhaps also certain hygienic items.

I think it depends on what you already have where you live though.

6. Dan Collyer

Dan Collyer New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I live in Far North Queensland Australia, we get a regular battering from tropical cyclones every year. Apart from a good supply of water and tin food, I have found two essential item i cannot do without in a storm. One is my wind up radio and torch and the other is mini gas cooker.

7. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Dan Collyer, we used to live in the Territory. Water is important because they may not be any safe water if you get a big storm. We had that in cyclone Tracey in 74. Radio, torch, gas cooker very good idea. I would add a large tarpaulin. If you get part of your roof ripped off you are going to need a good large tarpaulin. We did not have one in 74, & we were wet for days. Being in Darwin there was nothing we could use to fashion a shelter, all blown away!
    Keith.

Oddcaliber and The Innkeeper like this.
  8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You stole my reply. Yours is the best reply for a lot of questions.

Oddcaliber and The Innkeeper like this.
  9. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm going with your asking about being stuck in your house or cabin -- not your vehicle. Those are two different discussions. I had to get off the road one time when caught by a bad storm -- couldn't see 20 ft. Next day, the news said that there was a tornado in that storm. I was getting hit with 70mph winds and my SUV was rocking side to side. I covered myself with a thick parka just in case a window might bust-in, hit by a tree limb, whatever.

Stuck in a cabin could be fun, especially if its got a porch; rain hitting the tin roof, that wondrous smell of the rain, lightning or falling tree is an out-there risk, rocking chair and glass of your favorite whiskey, dogs have run under the porch. Your woman is heating some beans and bacon on the wood stove, the chill in the air is pleasant, you're getting a bit wet from the wind and rain, but so what. Storms that don't kill you can be fun.

As to supplies, shoot ... what stores well, what keeps you alive, what do you like to eat that comes well-packaged, ..., blankets, kerosene, kerosene lamps, a woodshed away from your cabin (else the wood draws termites to your cabin), ..., what keeps your woman sane, hard candy, ceramic water filter and a charcoal water filter, both, ... crank radio or thermocouple-powered radio, and whiskey. The whiskey is strictly for survival, right?! ;)

10. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Are you from Venezuela by any chance? I have seen some of the storms over the internet, I must say some pics people provided look damn beautiful, but it must be horrible to live with all that during most of the year. Quite an interesting phenomenon though.

Clearly food is always a good thing to have, life boats and suits as well. Flashlight was a nice idea, too. Perhaps an axe. And not just any, something similar to firefighter axes.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  11. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Well, having that many things will require maximum preparation, meaning having big bags to carry everything. In case you are somewhere in the wilderness, that is. Although, if you do live in area which gets a lot of rain and floods having life boats or vests would not be a bad thing to have around IMO

The Innkeeper and Jack_Dan like this.
  12. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I always start off with water when considering any survival scenario. Without access to clean water you're done for pretty quickly. In big storms, damage can be done to both pipelines and treatment facilities and you ultimately may end up getting sewage in your tap water. Besides stocking up on several days worth of fresh drinking water, it's recommended to fill your bathtub with water as a reserve. However I wouldn't depend on that method too much. I did so one year just in case, but all of my pipes backed up so all the clean water was as good as gone.

Besides that, a good hand crank radio/flashlight combo will often come in handy if the power goes out, since you can still keep up to date with warnings and news instead of sitting unaware and in the dark.

The Innkeeper and SimplyD like this.
  13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I think having another pair of clothes to change with is a must on a rainy day, especially if you live in a cold climate where you can even die for leaving your soaked clothes on. Other than that, assuming you have the usual things for survival (food, shelter, water) I would recommend a flashlight with a row of batteries in case you're going to spend a lot of time in the wild.

14. OursIsTheFury

153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think I'm more "futuristic" now than when my family had to endure several storms growing up. I currently have 2 light sources, a flashlight that you have to plug in to charge, and a lamp/flashlight combo that can run for 24 hours straight, but still requires charging again at an electric outlet. I have no item that is battery operated, and I don't even buy candles or matches anymore. Maybe it's my fear of fires, but also I have items that give out a more consistent and brighter source of light, and there's no risk of fire when you fall asleep. Either way, I know I'm doomed when a multi-day storm comes since my items at full charge can only last 24 hours at most.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    In 2009, we experienced a strong typhoon that had us stranded in our car. Fortunately, we were able to park on a higher ground that we had escaped the flood. But the floodwaters, waist-deep and flowing wildly prevented us from moving. For more than 24 hours, our food was a pack of crackers and 2 small bottles of water plus some chewing gum. I'd say that food and water are the most essential in times like that.

16. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Flashlight, food, water, extra pair of clothes, soap, whistle, matches, and a radio if possible. And if you have a baby on board, extra sheets for makeshift diapers.

17. Maxthewriter

Maxthewriter New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    While there are a number of things needed to survive during and after a storm, the most essential item has got to be nonperishable food. By the way, this includes water. A devastating storm will leave you with nothing if you had nothing stored.

The water may become polluted, and carelessly kept comestibles may be eroded away. So, upon the advent of a storm, make sure you have this in place. You wouldn't want to starve, would you?

18. OursIsTheFury

153/173

Blog Posts:
    I think price of the modern age is that people have started to phased out candles and battery-operated emergency devices, leaning on more towards electricity-charged ones. I for one have electric flashlights and lamps that can last over 24 hours, but also require at least 20 hours of charging. I keep them charged up just in case I need to use them, but I don't have candles anymore or emergency lights that require external batteries to function.

19. OursIsTheFury

153/173

Blog Posts:
    Yup, even my stove and water boiler is electricity powered. No battery slots or anything. Same goes for the flash light and the lamp light. I'm doomed if a storm ever rages that cuts the power for over 2 days, since my equipment's life would probably be drained at that point. But still, I have a fear of candles so I do my best to avoid them at all costs. It's better than starting fires, you know?

20. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Well, aside from food, I recommend that one must have a battery powered radio! Battery powered radios will be really helpful in times of calamity as it keeps you up to date with the happenings whether it's a typhoon, earthquake, blizzard, etc. While yeah you have your smartphone that can be used as a radio(given that you have an earphone) I think it is necessary to have a dedicated battery powered radio. You can never go wrong with this advice!

21. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    The most essential item to have would be shelter. You can't just stand out in a storm, you gotta be somewhere out of it. Be good to have candles, flashlights, battery operated radio, and have an emergency plan in case of a tornado. Know before hand where to go.

22. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Since my country is prone from storms and flooding, we have chosen to live in a higher area where we can't have flood during storms. Although we don't live in flooding prone area but there is no electric power during storm so it's very common here for people to store food, water, candles or flashlight and battery operated radio. The essential item that I would consider during a storm is a powerbank for charging cellphones. Communication is a must during storms to connect to our loveones who might be stranded somewhere.

23. OursIsTheFury

153/173

Blog Posts:
    Another experience I had about heavy rain; there was this storm that lasted 2 weeks a few years ago. After week #1 the humidity was really terrible, and even my ceiling started creating water droplets and the walls became dark. 2 straight weeks of heavy rain was terrible because the shelter never had the time to try itself, and it made fungus grow faster. It was horrible, and thankfully I've never had that long of heavy rain since then. I had to use my mop to wipe the ceiling precipitation since they were starting to become black.

24. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't get the extremes some of you guys do, occasionally I'll have a couple of trees down on our access road or snow drifts but they're no problem. We can't be flooded. We do however lose power on a regular basis because of the trees. A generator is always usefull to keep the freezer and the ground source heat pump going.

25. GREGORY Brooks

GREGORY Brooks New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I like your post very much, my name is Greg, I am a survivalist like you. If the storm got too bad and flooding entered your home, you've got to have a way out. Number one, some type of boat or floating device + 2, in my attic, while they were reshingling it last year, I had them cut a hole in the Attic with a door and a super grade of sealant waterproof. If you had to get out you could go to the lowest part of the roof and just crawl out and be on top of your roof in minutes. Of course everything that you said was correct, but if you say that you live in an area like that that is prone to devastating flooding oh, you wouldn't want to be trapped in the Attic with nowhere to go.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. RICH-FL

RICH-FL Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    During a storm SHELTER! Because hypothermia can kill in less then 3 hours.

Remember the 3's of survival

1 minute of massive bleeding
    3 minutes for air
    3 hours for shelter
    3 days for water
    30 days for food

27. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A: Huge rain parka or tarp

If high winds, periphery of tarp must be weighted down; use rocks, logs, whatever.

As somebody else said, you absolutely must maintain your body temperature. Hypothermia = shock, then death.

If you have enough tarp, part of it can be used as a ground cover. Whether tent or make-do tent, the floor must allow for water drain-off. Can't have standing water inside your shelter.

It would also be great to have clothing that is wool or a material that allows water to be wicked away from your body.

28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have to go with shelter that will get you through the storm alive and uninjured. Everything else comes after the storm has passed. I've lived on the Gulf Coast most of my life and seen to many people fail to understand this. I never want to hear someone tell me to write my social security number on my body with a permanent marker so that they can identify my body when I call for rescue after the storm rolls in and I realize that I'm not in a safe place and it is too late for them to get to me!

29. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Put me in the shelter camp as well. Shelter is the most important thing. If you are not protected from the elements not much else is going to matter.

30. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I am being naive in saying this but, without any facetiousness, a good waterproof coat would seem to be the first essential item on the list.

This is a simple way to reduce the risk of exposure, and any infections that may arise from being permanently damp.

31. RICH-FL

RICH-FL Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    Having lived through Hurricanes, Typhoons, Blizzards, Ice storms, and tornadoes I have three items you need to have ready.

1. Have a safe place to stay, protected from wind and flood damage.

2. Have a bugout bag ready in case the roof falls in.

3. Ensure your fuel tanks are full. With the loss of power you cannot use the local gas station.

32. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The BIG thing is to do whatever it is that you are going to do BEFORE the storm comes in. If you move to a shelter or leave the area totally you don't even need a raincoat. You wouldn't believe how many people will try to run to the stores and do things in the rain with the storm starting to roll in.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Thinking this through, " STORM " is a very broad category. IMHO the first thing that comes to mind is rain, but that may not be the case. If it is snow i.e. a blizzard you will need different things, and getting out of dodge may not be an option. There are times when travel may be virtually impossible.

Rich-FL gives very sound advice in his previous post. Make sure what is in your BOB is appropriate for the season, and be prepared for circumstances to change in a heartbeat. I had a friend who was hunkered down in his house with his family riding out a hurricane. One big gust, and the house was ripped in half, outer wall completely gone. He was fortunate to have family close enough that they could run down the street. Things can change that quickly.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  34. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A steady head & experience helps.
    Keith.

DirtDiva and TMT Tactical like this.
  35. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Depends on your definition of "storm" for anything less that a cat3, I just need a good book to read and gas in the van. The van is packed with everything I need to live for 30 days except enough water; but I have multiple methods of purifying water on board and since it is a storm water to purify should be readily available.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  36. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    For a long snowstorm, a large sleeping bag, a nymphomaniac, three kegs of beer, two cases of semi-decent tequila.

37. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking this very question just the other night when the power was out during a big storm. Around here we get the occasional Hurricane (A pretty bad one this past year) with lots of flooding. But mostly our power just gets knocked out for a while when It rains too hard, and lightning a bit.

So, I'm thinking for my particular living arrangement, a Generator would be essential. To at least keep the refrigerator running, and A fan or two (Summer's here are HOT!)

Florida Gypsy and TMT Tactical like this.
  38. Mauser'sDaDa

Mauser'sDaDa Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Do your lights charge by USB cable? It might be possible to stockpile pre-charged surplus flip cell phones. When the power goes but you could hook a USB cable and run it off these same phones, too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Where I live, every few years we will catch a major hurricane and can and have been without power for weeks. Guess what? I have about every kind of lighting source that you can imagine. I also have all sorts of nonpowered cooking stoves and even battery-powered fans. I have a small 3500-watt generator that I will run for a few hours a day to allow the freezer to stay cold and charge a few things. I don't want bigger because when the power is off fuel gets hard to find. After Hurricane Rita people were having to go on hundred mile round trips in search of fuel. Local sources were mostly gone in that first week. I also have heaters for winter power outages that have lasted as long as 7 days a few times.

All truth aside we usually have a great time when we have a long term power outage. We have lights ways to cook both inside and outside. Big 2 X 14 X 60 porches that are furnished and cool places to hang out on hot days. We had a big party after Rita and had all of our friends over. We all had some meat or seafood that we needed to cook so we have a huge surf and turf banquet for 15 or 20 people.

When you live way out in the country when a storm comes you are going to be near the end of the list when the power company starts repairing the lines. If you are prepared for this it is just sort of like going on a fun camping trip. We play cards and board games and read. I have good radios and so we have music and news. After Rita the weather was wonderful. We spent the days outside playing all sorts of games out in the yard under the trees. I have an outdoor Yahtzee game with 4" dice and a 5-gallon rolling cup. We have corn hole bean bag toss games, croquet, a basketball goal, and my daughters live on my land beside me with my Granddaughter so I have people to play with. Good times!

Rebecca, Dalewick and TMT Tactical like this.
  40. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Gotta big protective dog.

The thing is paranoid, always on the alert, and mega-protective. Good, right? Wrong. The dumb animal is afraid of thunder.

Preparing for a storm? Dog tranquilizers ... or a dang baseball bat. Be prepared.

90f722f061c9d6d40bf22bd0e26718ee.jpeg

41. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Tricky because it really depends on what type of "storm" and the individual situation. I'd say water, portable gas cooker, light and waterproofs. (And tea hahahaha. When in doubt, sit down and have a cup of tea. All your worries will melt away ... )

Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
    1. Dalewick
      Nice to see you posting Blitz. Hadn't seen you on here in a while. Did you get you wild dogs sorted out?

Dalewick, Jul 8, 2020
  42. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the storm. 1. Shelter
    2. Water
    3. Food
    4. Protection

In that order for most storms. Like others I frequently end up without electricity for days or weeks. I got tired of it years ago and bought a 13,000 watt generator. Flex fuel. Eliminates the problems for almost all storms my area gets.

Dale

Blitz, Rebecca and TMT Tactical like this.
  43. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    ...... and don't forget whatever the headaches are, they are less because of volunteer emergency responders.

The hurricane-blown tree over the road wasn't moved by osmosis. The sheriff's patrol car could drive to your place because of a road.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Dalewick
      LOL! This is West Virginia...the locals cut up downed trees and usually throw them in the back of the pickup for firewood. Except for on major highways, I have never seen anyone but locals clear trees from roads in WV. At least 1/2 of all trucks have a chainsaw in them. Along with a firearm... God Bless WV!!!

Dalewick, Jul 8, 2020
  44. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Dale,

Here we have a corridor highway Navy Norfolk - Washington, D.C.

Blocked roads means those in 4X4s or ATVs have it easier to "acquire" generators used during hurricanes. Two Responders are not enough to move a tree. Some must work security.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When we have had storms or ice storms that took down the power for 5 days or more the things that just VANISH are bottled water ??? batteries and fuel of all kinds. As time went on, you had to go farther and farther to find gas for your cars, generators, and propane for the various stoves, heaters, and propane lighting. We always have food for several months and 1500 gallons of water in a cistern. We already live outside a lot and so it isn't seriously strange for us to be on the porch summer or winter.

We used to lose our power often enough that every room in our house has a battery-powered lamp hanging on the ceiling. We also have kerosene lamps for the winter and a kerosene heater. Before I got used to living in the woods, when we first moved up here, once we had to bring our gas grill into the house. It provided a lot of heat and really made the house smell great but walking around salivating all the time got old. After that, we got some gas heaters and a big propane bottle. Later I added the kerosene heater because kerosene is cheaper than propane for long term use unless you get a tank and buy it in large quantities.

Usually, when we have a widespread power outage that lasts several days or weeks most places shut down. If you are prepared and have everything before the rush it is actually a pretty nice little vacation for people that like to camp and can make lemonade out of lemons. We play board games, cards, dominos, and then go outside for outdoor games, fires, BBQs, and picnics.

After Rita was especially nice. It came in late September and after it passed the skies were blue and the temperatures were in the low mid-70s to the high-80s. We had a wonderful 10-day vacation. No power but we didn't miss it. We had several BBQ parties and one big fish fry with all of our friends coming over. I put Coleman lanterns up in the trees and the yard was well lit so the lids could play.

LOL, we have three big border collies on three fenced acres that provide security but it is the Yorkie that is going to raise hell and go after a stranger leading the pack. LOL.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Active Member
      45/58

Blog Posts:
    I managed to ride out Katrina in a mobile home! Fresh water was the biggest concern. Won't be making that mistake again.

TMT Tactical likes this.
    1. Old Geezer
      You had Angels watching over you. Or, super Karma. Maybe you should have ran out and played the lottery!

Old Geezer, Jul 12, 2020
      TMT Tactical and Oddcaliber like this.