What's Your Specialty

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Bishop, Jun 10, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I came late to this prepper party but I can guarantee that I am working very hard to catch up. I have all the skills I need to survive in an Urban environment. As a mountain man, not so much. I do not plan to bug out and you really would not want to try invading my home. I have one skill that many do not, I have an unconditional survival mentality and will do what ever it takes to protect me, my family and my property. In TEOTWAWKI, I will not take prisoners or hesitate.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I certainly wish you the best of luck, but a large truck plowing through your house or a house on fire can take a lot of beating mate. Just bare that in mind in your preps.
    Keith.

3. Dunmaghlas

Dunmaghlas Expert Member
      237/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not good at much, but I can shoot most guns efficiently (favorite is FN Five-seveN USG FDE) and can pick locks relatively quickly and can work with minor electronic, so things like close-range radio jammers, small-scale EMPs, cameras/bugs, a bit of hacking. Really nothing useful for normal legal purposes lol.

4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Kieth, you are absolutely correct. My biggest concern is fire bombings, so I have planed my emergency rabbit holes and where to relocate safely. My downstairs neighbor would have to worry about the truck but it would have to get through their concrete wall first. I do not plan to engage in a standing fire fight but I will make anybody attempting to force me out, pay a big penalty after I retreat. I have no problem being a back shooter and will circle and cause havoc. I have 32 locations, with concealed cover, all withing 50 yards, so they will have to have a very large force to trap me. When you understand how building are constructed, moving though walls is not difficult. You just have to plan ahead and have tools at the ready. My steel security door can be pulled of it hinges and front entrance door can be knocked in but that all takes time. By the time anybody could break in, we will be gone. Fire bombing is a cause for concern but that would also take time and again we would be gone before the fire / smoke could ever reach us. Fire extinguisher will help but the plan is not to fight any major blaze. I am smart enough to know all forts can be taken with enough fire power, so I don't plan to fight off any armies. Run and live to fight another day, is my plan. Trip hazards and go boom trip wires can greatly slow the advance of invaders into my home. All are designed to provide evacuation time. I do not plan any Alamo stands.

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good to hear it, that sounds very sensible TMT.
    Keith.

6. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Wow this thread went sideways so fast I almost forgot what the OP was about. I’m not a master at any5ing, but know the basics of a lot of stuff.always working on upgrading my skills and knowelege

7. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I know enough to have made a living at several things, from medical to legal to cooking to maritime to construction and much more. I'm a problem solver and have two skills that have served me well. I can correlate two seemingly unconnected bit of information to come up with an answer. Secondly, I know who to ask if I can't figure it out.

My weakness is agriculture. I'm trying to learn how to grow stuff.

8. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I’m pretty good at breaking things then at figuring how to get out of the mess I made. All kidding aside, this describes how my wife sees me. But what does she know?

I’m probably best at critical thinking. Formal training and education followed up by my professional career gave me this.

Agriculture, animal husbandry, preserving food, trapping, hunting and gathering, etc were taught to me by my parents and all my aunts, uncles and grandparents. This is how they lived and how I lived as a kid.

Dad taught me to land navigate by the sun, stars, terrain, map and compass. He also taught me how to shoot. My 22 years in the army didn’t screw my original learning up too badly.

My dad was kind of a “Tim the Tool Man Taylor” in how he learned to fix things. I have some of this in me, but I’m never afraid to try, learn and grow in competence.

Woodworking is a passion, and there is no construction project I won’t tackle. Even though I mostly use power tools, I am learning to use my hand tools I’ve inherited from my dad or came with the old homestead I bought.

Some of the traditional bushcraft skills like starting fire by rubbing sticks together or figuring out which bugs or plants to eat to cure what ails you I’m not so good at. But these are things my wife is an absolute ace at.

The one skill I never learned, that I wish I did, was to fly. My dad was a pilot but gave it up when he was in his young 50s. I just never found the time to get my license. When things get bad in our world, this skill would open up a whole new world to survive and thrive in up here in the northern country.

9. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    Every one needs a plan. Although I am no expert I suspect keeping up a battle for an extended period against a trained or determined foe will tax you more than you think. Ammo and steel barriers are great, you sound like you might be better prepped for home defence than many, but unless you have enough bodies to accompany you, it is going to be hard. As they say you have to sleep sometime. Even artificial stimulants can only keep you going for so long,

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    I guess I am sunk ... I am a generalist and not a master of anything.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    As to survival skills, I can be a semi-decent gardener for common/robust vegetables, I'm good with a gun, I've been able to fix most things I've set out to fix, and I'm an expert jerry-rigger. And I can be an @$$hole. Now days, even Satan avoids me when we damned go out for a smoke break. I don't even remember what I said the time that I got Satan to puke. Excuuuuuuuuuse me!

4f35c035cc3f7287eff4747381e47d45.gif

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  12. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Specialty ....wow!!!

Handling U 235.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    A specialty? Figuring things out. Especially diagnostics and repair. I was one of the first to get the ASE L1 certification. Up to the year 2000, only 1% of certified technicians had the L1 cert. I can build stuff so that it is functional, but it will never be "pretty". I don't have that artistic eye. But when it comes to making broken things work again, I would match my skills against anyone.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    I am fortunate enough to have spent half my life in a more Urban environment, and the other half (so far) Out in the Country, my skills are pretty limited so far (practicing everyday) but they're useful at least in my current environment.

Gardening/Landscaping being the strongest of my skills, I can run a small garden, or a decently sized farm. I can do minor welding (nothing extreme) I can build things out of wood (mostly furniture, or small things).

Other than that, I grew up in a military family, so I'm pretty comfortable around guns, still need more shooting practice before I would consider myself proficient..

~Nomad

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I am an info junkie and that applies to gathering skills. If I see something that I like I want to know how to do it where other people may want to buy one. I picked up trades that way and have endless "hobby" type skills.

People are all different and that is why s group is many times more effective than one or two. I have my strengths and then there are things that I SUCK at. I have worked on motors from ship sized to cars, big trucks, tractors, bulldozers, and motorcycles. I'm pretty good at that or fixing most any sort of machine...BUT chainsaws, weedeaters, and small mowers don't like me and won't run for me!!!! I like to write but spelling is forever a mystery to me. I love spell check!! I am very organized and can get things done...but am easily frustrated at times by details and small problems.

Knowing your weaknesses and accepting them is as important as knowing your strengths.

16. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Tex Danm,

So true. A group is a "force multiplier".

There is a prepper/survivalist group in northern Virginia where they already have a hunting lodge type of structure ... big ... that can accommodate many families. Even this sophisticated - and rich - group sought to get a physician and nurse to join their club.

Plus, often neglected about a group is that members know others in other groups. How many times have I obtained unneeded SAR materials that I wanted to give to someone who could put the 2 boxes of pubs to good use ?! Also ran into a supply of topo maps of some Gulf Coast areas. They, too, went to waste because I didn't have a contact to send them to.

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.