Where Will Most Go "first" Looking For Food And Water And??? Post Massive Shtf

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Sourdough, Feb 7, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    It may be different somewhere , but I have never seen a neighborhood FEMA store . They would have to crank up their vehicles and Drive to save a particular group . In a national or global disaster , saving a particular group wouldn't be an option . There won't be a FEMA coming to the rescue .

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back to the original question about places to go to find food. I will hit a feed store. 50-pound sacks of shelled corn, 50-pound sacks of whole wheat, Sweet Fed that you feed horses is just a mix of grains with some molasses syrup. Most of the pig chows are human-compatible. When people get hungry these with the killed game and assorted greens will keep you alive. Then from the major supply warehouses, I would go for the 100-pound sacks of pinto beans and white rice and the 5-gallon jugs of vegetable oil. From pool supply warehouses I would get 50-pound sacks of pool salt. This is just mineral rock salt that is coarsely ground.

The familiar canned foods and normal packaged food will vanish almost instantly. The bottled water goes on day one. Trying to get anything from the familiar places is going to be a dangerous unproductive mess. The whole sale warehouses and the feed stores and pool warehouses will be ignored for a while.

Caribou, poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    If we look to the past, there are some that will turn to the wild. One of my grandfathers, during the depression, was one of those and fed his seven children. There were enough that game became scarce for decades after. Many will head for the stores and then the restaurants. There will be those that worked at or drove out of the distribution centres, they will head there first.

You will have the looters and they will form into gangs and/or the gangs will become organised looters. Don't hesitate when they come knocking.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the UK we are 4 generations removed from the land and most have no idea where there food comes from or even in some cases which animal, once the supermarket shelves are cleared some will move onto smaller stores if there are any in their location but apart from that they haven't got a clue. the majority of the population seems to exist on take-aways and ready meals, very few even know how to cook from fresh, and as for wild food-forget it, if it hasn't been through some factory process they wont eat it, most will sit and wait to be rescued, some hope.
    I have never expected a high survival rate in the UK post SHTF far from it.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Like everyone else I will take my best guess . Rural folks know their area and where the best potable water source is . Food is another matter . Their rural neighbors will shoot to kill if they try to prey upon the livestock or food crops that the rural neighbor possess , so many will sit and starve from lack of food or be hung or shot . ----- City and suburban dwellers is a different species as can be seen in the unrealistic politicians they will go vote for . When I went through the devastation of Hurricane Katrina on a rescue mission my observation was the City and suburbanites Did Not come walking down the roads looking for that survivable location . They got into their vehicles and drove until they ran out of fuel and then just sat there on the sides of the roads " hundreds perhaps thousands " of vehicles waiting for help or death . Most didn't even try to leave at all but just sat there waiting for help or death at their residence . Other members on here have also testified to this observation as they were part of the sit and wait crowd but luckily " proved to be the correct decision " . Help did come . Actually one of my survival group members headed a electrical rescue crew and got shot at for his efforts . Apparently some folks liked the power grid down so they could loot and pillage . In an event such as an E.M.P. I would not think many of these out of shape , depend on the government , living in a fantasy world people would come walking down the highways as seen on survival films . They will feed on their on hand food and water and then die . ---- There is always exceptions and the exceptions is where a preppers biggest danger lie . Many that thought of themselves as a prepper will find themselves a looter instead . ---- Of course this theology is based on a worst case scenario . A semi disaster such as " Hurricane Katrina " or " Deadly Virus " we would see a completely different outcome .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    TMT Tactical, TexDanm and Old Geezer like this.
  6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A goodly number of folk will head to local government offices and do a lot of shouting.

A lot of good that will do them.

Homeless when booted out their night shelters head for public buildings. During the day, libraries are full of the homeless -- especially in winter.

Many will gather at churches. Problem with that is that the congregants are little more prepared than the poor.

I read what Poltiregist said and I found that instructive. I certainly wasn't shocked by it.

Part of my preparedness is for when they come knocking at our door. Think window boards and door reinforcements. And ammunition.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Very similar things happened a few months later when Hurricane Rite slammed into Texas. After seeing the things that had happened in New Orleans the idiots in Houston decided to run. With a quarter tank of gasoline, a bottle of soft drinks and a bag of chips were their entire bug out supplies. The biggest problem was that 90% of the people were people that were WAY out of the area of any threat from flood on the north part of town and even with the North bound interstate (I-45) converted to all North bound on both side it blocked up and they just sat there with their motors running until they ran out of fuel. We ended up with a 6 lane parking lot that was 114 miles long for three or more days they sat there waiting for "rescue". Sadly the people that needed to leave were at the end of the line and in the storm. IDIOTS, thousands of them and none with any of the even the basic abilities to take care of themselves. The best thing that they could think of to do was try and steal from local people and tear up any place that was dumb enough to offer them shelter. These people in any sort of long term breakdown where there is no help coming for a month or longer will just simply be TSTL!! (Too Stupid To Live)

PS: I said a month or longer because most people can survive for three weeks without food. After they eat their bag of chips an a few cookies and drink their soda pop that three-week count down will start and a month later most will be dead from starvation. By the time they realize that they need to do something and nobody is going to come to save them they will be too weak to do it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have lived in a city, I have also lived in medium sized towns and small towns, I have also lived off grid, so I think I have the personal experience as to how different people will act or not act in the UK post SHTF. suffice to say when the power goes down and the store shelves are empty its curtains for most people.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think things are much the same in most places these days lonewolf. My generation was the last that was raised by people that were closely tied to the land. I gave some of that to my children but not as much as my dad gave to me and my Grandchildren are going to live in a world where nobody lives on the land in the sense that people used to. Even the farmers now are as dependent on the power and the fueled machines to live. Even the people that garden do so with their gas-powered tillers and bought hybrid seeds or starter plants from a nursery. The fact is that many if not most of the people in rural places are woefully prepared for a human powered world.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I live in an area where farmers are mostly stock rearing, cattle and sheep, mainly sheep, you have to go many miles to an arable farm location, most of this these days is by the mono cropping method which wont be sustainable post SHTF because all the fertilisers and pesticides are all imported, even the seeds they use are hybrid and of limited use post SHTF.
    most people are unaware of these facts and just expect their food to be in the supermarket when they want it, most of them have never heard of the "just in time" delivery method that most firms use these days.
    even the eggs you see in the supermarket can be a month old from when they were laid which is why I buy eggs straight from the farm gate.

Caribou, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What a shame. Farmers could be raising their own veggies.

This fellow has gotten a bountiful garden to grow in Devon:
    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-v...t-morchard-bishop-devon-england-71429379.html

Here's a couple growing veggies in Devon. They say they use organic gardening techniques. These plants I'm not familiar with, but then, why should I be?! Different ecosystems favor different crops. Devon can be wet, so ...

https://www.incrediblevegetables.co.uk/

https://www.incrediblevegetables.co.uk/whats-growing/

I read that sheep sh## makes great fertilizer. Devon has no shortage of sheep.
    https://www.bettervegetablegardening.com/sheep-manure.html

Animal manure is that with which I fertilize my garden. I use little to zero chemical fertilizer and the store-bought is for the hot peppers. Last year, I can't remember using any chemical fertilizer whatsoever, even for the peppers and too many peppers came in. My garden soil is now black, loamy black.

When a boy, my mom was friends with a woman who had horses. Horse fertilizer is the best. We used pickup-truck loads.

Our land was god-awful poor -- solid red clay. I've split red clay with a mattock. First you brake up the soil into bricks, then you break up the bricks, now you rototill / hoe. This will return to brick, therefore one must now add sand for water percolation. Now comes the manure and lots of it.
    Adding peat moss is good. The trick is getting a garden that can survive the drought of summer -- temps in the 90s -- then soak and hold the rains, coming often times in hellish thunder storms, downpours.

Example of "bad weather": https://www.weather.gov/mrx/doeflood

I'm from tobacco big-burly country states. Now that crop uses UNIMAGINABLE chemical fertilizer. Tobacco eats the soil like a cancer.

A lot of folk raise alfalfa -- it is a nitrogen-fixer for the soil. Come season, the farmer turns this under for the coming planting. If cattle get into a alfalfa field, they can develop bloat, so be watchful.

Richard Earley and TMT Tactical like this.