Which insects would you survive on?

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by remnant, Jun 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    During periods of food scarcity, insects come in handy as an alternative source of nutrition especially if one gets lost in the wild. I come from the tropics and there is a wide array of insects which can be eaten raw. These include white ants, crickets and various worms. What insects would one survive on in your area?

2. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Probably worms, there are loads of them here, and ants too although I think I'd opt for the worms.

3. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I've eaten crickets and worms before. It's not a problem. The only issue is that it taste a whole lot better if it is cooked and seasoned right. Earth worms will taste like dirt. They best way I know how to eat earth worms is to purge them by leaving them in water and constantly change the water. Eventually, the taste while eating them will be somewhat tolerable.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    what about moths? all you need is a sheet strung up and a light behind it.

5. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Cockroaches can survive a nuclear fallout, and I have seen one man in Ripley's that have been on a steady diet of roaches for over 2 years at that point, eating nothing else, and has claimed that all the nutrients and protein he needed to survive would be on the roaches. So yeah, as gross as that sounds, desperate times call for desperate measures, and when the time comes where it's do or die, you would probably much on these tiny critters too, just to survive another day.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    why stop at insects? there is plenty of "roadkill " out there, animals are being killed every day on our roads, and whilst some people can get fuel post event this will continue.
    I have had some good meals of roadkill- mostly pheasants.

7. jonthai

jonthai New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I've heard crickets are very tasty and nutritious. I've never tried them, but in a life or death situation i would surely eat them to survive. May not taste the best, but everything counts.

8. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Grasshoppers and locusts can be a good food source but catching them won't be easy.

I've heard that in Cambodia they do eat tarantulas. So if you can find any tarantula's they could keep your belly well-filled.

If you can get hold of termites, they can make a tasty meal. In parts of Indonesia they regularly eat termites.

9. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I am terrified of insects in bugs. As of now, I would say I would probably rather die than eat insects. But, if it came to that situation and I was starving, I might change my mind.

10. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    My boyfriend is from China. He told me that the sell tarantulas and centipedes and other bugs on the street. They vend them. They have a container with living ones, you pick which one you want, they put in on a stick and deep fry it.

John Snort likes this.
  11. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I think if you are in a survival situation you won't be picky. Even then you have to be careful because there are some insects that are poisonous. I think our look on bugs is a cultural one, after all nearly everyone has eaten bugs. It's funny that if the bug comes from the sea, (lobster, crab and shrimp) it's ok but as soon as it's terrestrial people get all squamish when it comes to eating them.

12. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Crickets and grasshoppers are good to eat but id gather them and go fishin with them instead no fish caught then id eat them

13. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    May I have a pass on this food festival? Last March, we were in Bangkok with my nephew and nieces. My husband challenged them to sample the cooked insects being sold by the street vendor. The children chose an assortment of cricket, beetle, scorpion, small snails - that's what I saw but did not confirm it from the vendor. Upon tasting, I saw their contorted faces mainly with the thought of eating insects. But after swallowing, the 3 kids admitted that the insects tasted good enough. I did not have the guts to taste it and the rest of the insects landed in the garbage can.

My husband said that the best insect is the fried beetle because it tastes quite milky. However, he cautioned me because when cooked, the beetle has a semblance of cockroaches and a cockroach is a yucky thing to me. Honestly, I sometimes say that I could eat anything for survival, maybe, but as of this moment I have to admit that it is far fetched to me. Sorry about that.

14. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    I have tried them fried, they aren't half bad! And that was entirely of my own choice to enter a competition in the affluent suburbs shopping center. So I could definitely handle that if it came down to the wire.
    As for other insects, I'll have to do some reading as I'm entirely unsure of what else there is in my area that could feasibly and safely be consumed. I'd be down for eating bugs though, if need be.