Who would you want to make friends with in a survival setting? Who would you want to avoid?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Requests' started by judyd1, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    And how would you tell the difference before you got to know someone? They might just be playing you along to see what resources, if any, you could be "persuaded" to part with.

You can usually (not always) count on family, but what about strangers? Do you just go by gut instinct?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Discounting people you don't know, I would choose someone who is timid or one who looks stupid enough. It is difficult to be with someone who looks and acts smart because if the guy would plan something sinister then you would have a problem. For an idiot, it looks like harm is distant since the idiot's mentality is not designed for evil deeds. That's for my personal safety.

For the survival, someone who has the patience and bright demeanor who could lighten up my mood. It is important to have a positive thinker in the group when in survival mode because you cannot afford any discouragement. Some hunters would say that when you are lost in the woods, it is like playing chess with yourself, you don't bluff your way but you have to be honest.. but when things go awry, you have to fool yourself to be on the positive side.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    Initially, after a disaster you don't need any friends. And even afterwards you may need to make-do without friends. If people can't be trusted now in normal times then you need to be extra-cautious when SHTF.

For me I don't think I'll want to make friends in a survival setting. Trusting people . . . it's too risky.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    nobody and everybody:D
    if you don't know who to trust-trust nobody. okay so I ripped that off from a trailer for NCIS-LA but its still true!:p

John Snort likes this.
  5. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    No one. Under such difficult situation, people are more inclined to trick you into anything that benefits them, everyone at this point are desperate for food/weapons. So i'll be cautious and i wouldn't trust anyone outside my circle of friends and family.

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    It feels the best idea is to ensure you have a group of trustworthy friends before the emergency occurs. If not, it helps to know good your neighbours, so you can tell which ones can be trsuted, and which are antisocial to begin with, or likely to break down mentally or physically when facing hardship.

Of course, you never know whether the idiiot is really an idiot, or a Bad Guy posing as such to infiltrate your group. It takes longer observation to determine that.

7. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    if there is even the slightest doubt-TRUST NO ONE, you cant afford to post collapse.
    people will lie and cheat to get what they want and if you get it wrong you will suffer for it.

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, but you have to be healthy, very well prepared and willing to live a rather austere life if you want to rely on literally no one. I think it won't be an option for most of the people, even among the prepper community. There are goign to be situations that you can't handle on your own or with family only, like medical emergencies, where you really want a doctor, not just soemone with basics of first aid.

9. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    you might not be able to rely on others, like I keep saying, not everyone is going to survive the collapse, the survival rate is expected to be quite small, almost single percentages, whilst this might still be a lot of people finding out who you can trust is going to be at best difficult and at worst a matter of life and death.
    many people could be left on their own-not by bad planning or not prepping but by sheer bad luck, we each have to make the best of it as best we can by our own endeavours.
    watch out, in these circumstances "Strangers=Danger".

10. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I had a dream last night about a post apocalyptic world, and living in the wilderness with my partner and our daughter but eventually looking for a more urban area to try and settle in where we might find more food supplies and fresh clothes. In the dream, we decided to follow a rail track and eventually found our way to a train station. When we arrived, there were people immediately swarming around us, trying to figure out whether we were hostile. It turned out the people were good and friendly, and there was a woman who was the leader of them all cooking away in a kitchen to provide meals for passersby.

I know there will be some good people, even when SHTF. But in the dream it was terrifying to be swarmed by strangers who could easily have killed us for our supplies, or even our flesh. There will be communal shelters of people helping and being helped, but I will avoid them, because it just takes one idiot to endanger us all with his greed.

11. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    travelling a rail track is okay but you have to look out for others who have the same idea, and stations should be detoured around as they will be the least safe, also look out for possible "ambush" places.
    a better idea is to go overland, not using roads-too obvious-but using the roads and electric pylons and any other landmarks as a reference point to get your bearings, stay hidden during the main day light hours-movement will be more noticeable during these hours and either travel by night hiding up during the day, or travel 1 hour before dawn to 1 hour after, the same around dusk(this is my preferred travel time).
    the trouble is when you meet people you don't know their intensions, they could be good but they could also be bad, you have no way of knowing, so avoiding them entirely or remain hidden until you know what their actions are, is a wise and safer move.
    like I said, if you don't know who to trust-trust no one, that way you wont be taken off guard.

Moroccanbeauty2266 and Damorale like this.
  12. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    Screw everyone, if it's not family, and I have a stock pile of everything that I need, I don't care to connect with anyone else in the world because they are a danger to my life, my stock pile, my family by default. It's the Dog Eat Dog scenario, you can't ever be too secure with your choices, it might be best to block everyone out of your life.

lonewolf likes this.
  13. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    yes, if you don't know them-avoid them.

14. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    The old Reagan maxim would apply very well here, "Trust, but verify". It is very difficult to survive by yourself for long in an survivalist setting since any serious ailment or injury could be fatal and, inevitably, humans will experience them. It is during that time that having members of the group provide temporary assistance can be critical. As long as the people you come across appear in reasonably good shape and in possession of their senses, it would probably be a decent gamble to try and join or recruit them.

15. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    how do you know you can trust them if you don't know them? you don't, and that one decision could be your last final fatal mistake.
    being alone dosent mean taking stupid chances, being in a group could make one complascent because there are others around, it may make people relax and lower their guard, that's when mistakes happen.
    there is only one person I know I can trust...ME!
    don't just assume that because you are predisposed towards groups that living alone isn't possible, because for some of us that is the only way to survive in a hostile and disintegrating society.

16. Damorale

Damorale Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I think it's possible to survive alone. Yes you might become ill or injured when you're on your own, but the likelihood is that even if you were ill or injured, no-one could really help you anyway. It's comforting to have a loved one bringing you chicken soup when you've got the flu and everything, and the chicken soup is good for you and might help you to recover faster, but people don't really recover from illnesses much faster just by having people around them. If my illness was serious, it's not like just because I have befriended a stranger that he's going to be able to operate on me to remove a tumour from my lungs. The average person that you meet in the wild is going to be less prepared than you, so in reality you are going to find them a hindrance on your time and resources - you will have to share your food with them, explain your plans with them, argue with them when they think they know something better than you do. And permanently be on edge that eventually they might betray you.

lonewolf likes this.
  17. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    some one can get ill or injured in a group too, and unless you've got a practising doctor in your group-highly unlikely- the best that can happen is you get the chicken soup made for you instead of making it yourself!!
    there are some of us, and I know one or two, who survive better alone, who would be stifled in a group and would go crazy with all the constant bickering.

18. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Sad to see how many say they'd trust no one! People survive better in groups, that's just a fact. Even though some terrible things and betrayals can happen, you are better off to try to foster positive relationships and help eachother. Nothing is certain, especially in a survival situation, but I'd do my best to gather as many allies as I could in a disaster situation and make the best of them, even if we have conflicts.

19. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    The kind of person I am, I would try to be friendly but also distant enough in order to protect myself.
    Of course, if I were all alone and would miss taling to someone then I might want to have a friend to talk to but that does not mean they have to share the same shelter or food with me.
    In such a situation post-apocalypse you have to be careful who you trust and that is why I go for being friendly but staying distant.

20. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    just approaching someone could be dangerous, we do not know their intensions which could he harmful to say the least.
    in a post event environment a lot of people will be out for what they can get.
    its probably much better to stay hidden until we know what their intent is. don't take chances.

Moroccanbeauty2266 likes this.
  21. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I trust no one now not even family!
    Fact is that everyone WILL change!
    Trust pre Apocalypse will mean SQUAT during and after the event!
    The greatest danger will come from those closest to you!
    Yes! the ones you trust to cover your six just might not!

For me I will only trust hot lead and cold steel and nothing with a heartbeat and tits!

22. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    The old Reagan maxim would apply very well here, "Trust, but verify". It is very difficult to survive by yourself for long in an survivalist setting since any serious ailment or injury could be fatal and, inevitably, humans will experience them. It is during that time that having members of the group provide temporary assistance can be critical. As long as the people you come across appear in reasonably good shape and in possession of their senses, it would probably be a decent gamble to try and join or recruit them.

23. Rhomhie Morelh Campo

Rhomhie Morelh Campo New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    As a person i would basically hangout with them for a while, just like a typical human being having friends with him or her basically as time goes by it's natural attitude will burst out and you wouldn't know until, you try you can test the person but in the manner that he or she didn't notice that you were just testing his or her attitude because you already, build up the quality with whom you accompany with but if you find his real attitude that is not good anymore you may suggest to leave and don't hangout with him and find new friends.

24. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Nobody and Everybody, in that order.
    trust nobody.

25. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I would try to mingle but keep a low profile go order not to be noticed. I have to admit that my gut feelings are very keen at assessing a situation and can sort of tell someone's character by looking at them. But keeping to yourself is golden as people's hearts mark alot of evil intentions. I usually befriend people of simple and plain character especially faith based ones.

26. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I have enough friends. Anyone else, unknown and untrusted is a liability.

27. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    anyone unknown and untrusted could be fatal.

28. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    Build up your network of people you can trust before shtf. That being said a number of those people when it comes to the stresses they have never been in before might snap under pressure and become untrustworthy.

29. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    But who can you trust when the chips are down? very few if any.
    in a catastrophic situation it will be everyone for themselves.

30. watcherchris

watcherchris Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    I am pretty much a loner ..and have few friends by choice.

Most of my life I have worked the back shifts preferring the graveyard shift...fewer people and bosses around.

It is my way and I make no apologies for it.

I am civil with my neighbors .....and say hello to them but mostly have little to no interaction with them.

One one side of my house is a rental and occasionally I get new neighbors.

One of them is a fast food lane type fellow with a woman and kids ...and a loud stereo system. More stereo than brains.

I introduced him one day to my Ham Radio running some 800 plus watts and turned up the microphone. Then followed this with the same wattage in Morse Code.

I normally don't run more than some 200 watts and very often only what the radio itself puts out..less than 100 watts..but some people tend to think they are sitting on the only one in town. You need to remind them occasionally that they are not sitting on the only one in town.
    So many people out here are so stupid they think everyone out here works day shift hours..they haven't a clue. I can do this in the middle of the night and bleed into televisions...and other gadgets too....but mostly I don't.

One day I picked up my nephew and took him to the gun club with me to do some shooting. I let him carry the AK 47..magazine installed .. to the truck in front of the neighbors ....while they were outside making big time noise. Now ...I was nice and said hello to them...waved...etc etc ...etc.

We got along just fine since that day..but mostly just say hello...and wave as I am want to do.

I am not what the world would call...a social butterfly...and could care less what others think about this. I am driving the bus on this property.

I chooses my friends and acquaintances carefully as a result of not being a social butterfly.

I know that good times are not where it is at...but hard times...can me and my limited friends or associates go the distance while facing certain obstacles.

Do they know or are they good at certain problem solving...females included....or are they going to be high maintenance.....or trophy women???

I don't believe in letting the kids run the show or dictate how things are going to be done....particularly on my dime.

I will take it into consideration..but kids and women do not run the show on my dime. Other males as well.

If it is their dime...I have little to nothing to say about it...they reap the rewards or problems...not my business.

When I detect people with kids running the show.....I tend to put distance between me and them. They are going to be high maintenance ..I want no parts of this. Meaning they are going to need others to be "Expendable and Disposable" for them.

Not my cup of tea.

It is my way. I make no plans to change my thinking because of SHTF...or TEOTWAWKI....particularly when I am the one expected or taken for granted that I take RISKS for other people's comfort levels.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Ystranc likes this.
  31. Kootenay prepper

Kootenay prepper Expert Member
      128/173

Blog Posts:
    Can’t completely trust anyone when it comes down to it that’s why I always keep backup plans no one knows about to fall back on.

Ystranc and Ken S LaTrans like this.
  32. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I trust no one and that's now never mind post SHTF.

33. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't trust that many people even before TSHTF

34. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts: