Why Not Move Someplace Safer..???

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Sourdough, Feb 6, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Why don't people move to safer locations to live.....??? It has always seemed vividly clear to me that the first step if your serious about survival is move someplace safer. You look at all the things that preppers do........and then they continue to choose to live near extreme danger totally surrounded by tens of "MILLIONS" of other humans.

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not everyone can afford to move, their home is often dictated by their occupation, ie easy access to their work place. Other reasons are that the partner does not want to move, they may want to live close to other family. Some people do not like living in the country, they find it scary. Then their is easy access to shops & schools.
    Survival in a TEOTWAWKI situation is obviously a priority, but meanwhile people are trying to live a normal life.
    Keith.

3. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would say that all the things that you listed above are the true priority, and infact Survival is at the bottom of their list of what they choose to deem important. Granted that will change when things get sporting.

4. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I am fortunate to be at a position in my life where I can live, compared to most Americans, in a very secluded location. This is something that I have worked and planned for for several decades. In my opinion, distance between you and other humans will significantly improve chances of survival. Even though I already live in a remote area, I am prepared to bug out further if stuff gets bad.

5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    While I am fully aware that survival chance greatly improve with the distance from people. My moving would require a divorce. Wife was raised on a farm and never wants to go there again. So urban prepping is all I can do for now. I will make it as safe as possible and then it will be what it will be. The wife has paid her dues and is entitled to the life she wants now. While it may cost us our live (an unknown) her happiness now is a known. I will risk it for her.

6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Agreed, ditto.
    Keith.

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I've a bit of a commute. My small-town home has a mortgage (medical bills have destroyed us economically) that is $300 cheaper than the apartment I took in a city (when first taking a job therein). Here, I can throw a rock and hit my pharmacy, or the fire station, or the grocery. At town get-togethers, the people know each other. I take garden vegetables to my neighbor. People work on their cars there in their driveways. Custom engines and all that. The people have chain saws, tools of all manner, skills, cut their own firewood, on and on. Within 10 miles, there's a community hospital. People here are self-sufficient is the short story.

In the city where I'd temporarily stayed, the people couldn't stick their fingers in their own butts provided a road map and a jar of Vaseline. They were as useless as teets on a boar hog. And they were angry -- at what, I haven't a clue. They won't talk to you. They scream at their own blood. Their faces are in their iPhones. Plastic souls living in a plastic world. One day I was staring at these zombies. Rod Serling walked up and offered me a cigarette. I took one and thanked him. He lit my smoke and we stood there just staring at this slow-motion apocalypse. He patted me on the back and left.

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    It may be that your wife doesn't want to go back to living on a farm but at least you both know that she could survive it if she needed to, I have no doubt that she retains skills from here childhood that she's forgotten she learned. Those kinds of skills and knowledge could be very usefull.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  9. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm in an area of low population density in the UK. While I'm not as isolated as I would be in eg. Alaska I'm probably much less likely to die from adverse weather conditions or animal attack.
    I'm outside the blast radius of a nuclear attack on the cities nearest to me and well away from main roads. My house seems to be difficult enough to find even when I give people directions so I'm not that worried about uninvited guests.

10. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Can't move ? I am not singling anyone out on this but it sounds like for some a survival bug out retreat with a sustainable water supply might be a good investment . Such a place could also make a nice getaway even in the good times . Perhaps there are a few members on here that live close enough together to share this investment .

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    usually finance is the reason why! or lack of it.

Radar, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  12. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't think there's anyplace that is completely safe -- at least not within the 48 contiguous United States. Certainly our recent move, after 40 years in Arizona, was driven by long-term safety (survival in Hard Times) as much as anything else. But it's not easy, even when you have a couple with a pension and SSI who can sell their old house and afford to buy a new one.

We didn't know anyone in Idaho, and had never visited it for more than a couple of days. We'd never lived in a rural area, had never farmed or even attempted to (although we 'd read a lot of things like Mother Earth News), and so on. We keep in touch with our friends, but over time, we're aware that those ties will be broken, too. We still ask ourselves if we did the right thing! We're still scared!

If moving was hard for us, imagine how difficult it is for someone who needs the present job, does not have the spousal support, or doesn't have the health or the cash to make a move. I've been planning this move since I was in my mid-thirties, and it took me 40 years to finally work up the means -- and the nerve -- to do so.

I won't question your commitment if you stay in a survival-unfriendly place. We all do what we can.

13. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    To build on lonewolf''s observation - Something that might surprise some , here in the Ozarks land sells for about one thousand an acre and up . There are a lot of streams , springs and lakes and wild game . Usually ten to twenty percent collateral , usually cash/ or property and good credit will get you going . My son in law purchased about 150 acres and zero collateral for about one thousand an acre about three years ago . About half the population here , moved here from somewhere else , usually to get away from human crude . So the end result for the most part we have honest decent people

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    places with lower populations are usually safer, not completely safe but safer.
    many a person has said nowhere in the UK is safe but its usually someone living in London or the Home Counties and what do they know? most of them haven't a clue where the south west of England is, heck they don't even know where East Anglia("East Angular"- Jade Goody.) is.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    typical!! one thousand an acre, its more like ten thousand where I live and the smaller the piece of land the more you pay.

16. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    In Wales it is possible to buy unimproved land on which it is illegal to build, such land can be offered for sale at as little as £2,500 an acre but that relies on you buying a significant area.
    It is then possible to dramatically improve the value of this land by planting new forest (grants are available to plant the trees and annual payments are made to retain the land as woodland).
    Having planted a new forest the value of the land can be tripled. After the the period that grants are paid runs out you can sell at a significant profit.
    Following this you can invest the capitol from the sale in whatever property that you want in order to avoid paying capitol gains tax.

Radar, lonewolf, TMT Tactical and 2 others like this.
  17. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Making the best of your current situation is what prepping is all about!

18. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    We each can only do the best we can at any given moment. We plan and implement our plans and then it will be as it will be. I toss no stones at others for their decisions and hope it works out for all of us.

Radar, Sourdough and Alaskajohn like this.
  19. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have considered offering to the city people, that they could Rent or Lease a 20' (Connex) shipping container, located on remote land, for storage of "Prepping for Survival" Goods. Even toyed with the idea of tiny condominium lots with 20' CONNEX.

I just don't need the money that bad, or the headaches either. It could be a fair idea for consideration.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I personally have never made my life choices based on fear. I am only certain of one life and I planed on and HAVE thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of my life I have been employed as a skilled worker. I'm a Machinist, Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber and General jack of all trades. Unfortunately none of these occupations make much money if you live someplace where there aren't many people that want to pay you for your labors. If I made my living as a writer or Artist or had even decided to farm and ranch I could have gone off into the wild blue yonder to do it.

Our civilization can't function if everyone scatters. The big cities are a necessity for things to flow and support the level and standard of living that we enjoy. The good news is that there are a lot of people that love the big city life. Good for them. It has made it so that I have mostly made a good living working in the outskirts without having to actually live in an ant pile.

The best thing for everyone is to live their life with as much joy as possible while at the same time making plans that will allow you to escape if things go down. There is NO PLACE that is actually a certain bet for safety. Move out into someplace all alone with your nearest neighbor 10 miles away and you are setting yourself up to be raided by a bunch of bad guys that WILL as in the past make a living taking what they want from any isolated people that they can find.

I have often mentioned that if you live in a big city and can't afford to buy a bug out location and build a place on it that you should t least rent a mini warehouse in a small town so that if you have to run you can go fast light and unencumbered by a lot of cargo. If you will vacation there regularly you will at least be a known person if you have to try to bug out to that location. I used to vacation in a place in West Texas every year. I kept a travel Trailer out there. I was known there and would have been welcome because I made a place for myself there. It only cost me 25 a month to part the trailer there and that was where we liked to go for vacation anyway so it was a cheap twofer.

Just having a plan will put you way out ahead of the masses. Being safe isn't as important as enjoying your life. I've lived in Hurricane zones and Tornado ally my entire life. I didn't run from it because of what MIGHT happen. Instead I made plans ad prepared for a fast evacuation if I needed to go.

21. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TexDamn, I like your plan and your thinking. My problem with the plan is how to get there if it is a sudden event, no warning? Most bug out plans do require some mode of transportation. I like the idea of going light and having the needed supplies at the other end, it is just getting to the other end that I have not figured out. With just a light BOB, not sure my physical condition would get me very far walking. I do think it is an excellent idea for those in better shape. The old and slow will need to stay home.

Radar and Sourdough like this.
  22. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Last summer I saw one of those big ass helicopters fly through our valley with a conex hanging under it. Maybe one of your caches being delivered?

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  23. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Most likely headed for a Gold Mine operation.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  24. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I helped a guy set up the situation that I mentioned. What we decided on was a stash in a mini warehouse near a camp that had small cabins. The idea was that if things start looking bad he can send the wife and kids ahead. The issue was that he couldn't afford to just walk away from his job and take a chance of losing it unless it was REAL certain that things were going to collapse. In order for him to get out with the roads blocked with traffic he got a small motorcycle. With a tank of gas, a small back pack and saddle bags he could travel well over a hundred miles to a safer location where he would meet with his family.

25. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    where in Ozarks is land 1 k

26. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    look at north central Arkansas , can call rocking chair realty at 870-453-4100 also united country BBB at 870=449-5141 or 870-421-3880 This area is one of the most scenic in the Ozarks . If you like larger mountains look at real estate in Newton county Arkansas , I don't have phone numbers there but am sure they can be easily found . BBB at United Country have their properties on a website available for viewing .

27. Duncan

Duncan Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Having lived many years in Arizona, we saw the entire state's culture changed when hundreds of thousands of people from a Certain West Coast State Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned moved here, crowded out roads and wildlands, bought and built McMansions which drove property values out of the reach of the locals, imported their own collectivist laws, and have tried, with some success, to rid us of those smelly old farm animals and feed-lots, to say nothing of those silly, old-fashioned Second Amendment laws.

After living here for only six months, I can see even now -- and from talks with locals who have lived here for a long time -- that the SWCSWNSNBM invaders are moving here as well, with exactly the same results!

28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    When the economy tanks, these folk will not have the skills to survive. Too, just a little thing like not having electricity will kill them.

Never give aid to such people!

America's urban areas have gone spiritually cancerous. Such cancers often metastasize into Heartland areas. Cancer must be annihilated utterly and permanently -- ZERO mercy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    They are fleeing the cow farts until the new "green deal" can be made law.

30. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree with everything you said, including the liberals leaving their doomed state and bringing their liberal thought process to my beautiful state. it does worry me. just another reason for my learning to reload.

Radar and Sourdough like this.
  31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have "incomers" in the south of England, some move here but a lot just buy a property they only use for a couple of weeks in the summer, the rest of the time they are empty, mostly Cornwall next country West to me so not a personal problem for me.
    they either wont survive without their food being delivered by the supermarket or by having no electricity.

Sourdough likes this.
  32. LastOutlaw

LastOutlaw Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Texas is quickly heading that same direction regardless of how the locals in more rural areas feel about it. The big and even medium sized cities are all turning leftist/liberal as more and more people flee the high taxes of the left coast which is a result of their own voting.

Because so many from the left coast are moving to Austin which is the capital of Texas the laws are changing on a state wide basis thereby affecting the entire state. Gun shows were run out of Austin a few years ago simply by the city council making new demands to the terms of the lease of the civic center that the gun show could not conform to.

Smaller cities like Temple Tx. and many others are constantly raising taxes and using things like the need to build Taj Mahal schools to house more and more illegals and build large parks with water parks in them as a way to sucker the residents into tax hikes year after year. Signs reading "ITS OR THE KIDS" appear and you know there will be a tax increase by the following year. At some point those on a fixed income can no longer afford the taxes on their bought and paid for home.

Heavily Armored and militarized by the use of federal grants aid police departments to take on a gestapo type attitude toward gun owners and ex military or open carry enthusiasts and before you know it your rights are stepped on regardless of the law.

Does your local police really need an MRAP?

police.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Duncan, TMT Tactical, Caribou and 3 others like this.
  33. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Sidebar:
    Old Geezer; Hadn't heard name Rod Steling of "Twilight Zone" in ages. My day is made. Thank you !
    Ystranc; It's not the blast radius-similar effect to other ordnance of similar size. It's the fallout radius.
    Lone Wolf: "East Angelia" LMAO !

The correct answer is provided by Alaska John; "Making the best of your CURRENT [my emphasis] situation..." One theme of mine is the study and prep to be able to move to different topo environments.when circumstances dictate so.

Things change. Recall General Sir Hackett's book "World War III". It should not be shocking if, for example, a Monday morning public service announcement tells of a major response to a major "problem". Is it fantasy to even consider that a FAA notice declares that all civil aircraft flights in US territory north of Juneau are prohibited until further notice ? The similar has happened before. George Washington National Forest used to be private lands with small farms. Things change. It might have been for the good (of the construction trades?) but small farms were phased out here except for the well-connected. Watch the new private citizen drone regulations that are pending. Recall the term "civil asset forfeiture".

Prep for realistic worst case scenarios. Many here go beyond the "Continuity of Government" (COG) program(s) in planning but that's a personal matter. I believe COG will work.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Not "fantasy" for me...........that is how I discovered the 9-11 "World Trade Center" attack happened........drum roll please.....learned about it on the 21'st, a full ten days after the attack. I was guiding some bear and moose hunters over near the Canadian border.

All flight were shutdown, they never considered that the bush flight services had people dropped off with very limited food, and lakes were freezing. The 21"s was the first they could fly in and extract us.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. poltiregist

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Why not move some place safer is a good question . For me after the second attempt by someone brandishing a pistol in an attempt to rape my teenage daughter made that decision easy . All the worldly possessions I owned was not worth me staying .

Radar, TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  36. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I certainly hope you disposed of the bodies well. !!!! :mad:

poltiregist and Caribou like this.
  37. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    IBME is right. A lot of hunters found out about 9/11 when they were met by airforce jets on their way back from a hunting trip. September is hunting season. There are more than a few people around here with remote cabins that can only be reached by air. Some also by a long boat ride in the summer and others by snow machine in the winter. No TV and very few with radios.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  38. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure that anyplace is totally safe. You can try to minimize the level of danger but there are no certainties. I was sort of lucky in misfortune. My life had crumbled where I was living and I had to get out. things were not getting better there and never did. Since I had to go and start all over again someplace else we killed two birds with one painful stone. We made our decisions on a future that we hoped to live and so didn't go to the money. In the end, we bugged out and if worked. I gave up my skilled high-paying work as a machinist and learned some new tricks. There just isn't a lot of demand for machinists in rural places.

My wife and I had a role reversal. She had a better paying job that provided insurance and benefits and I made the spending money. Eventually, it evened out but being self-employed works a lot better when your partner makes good money and covers the insurance.

I don't know if I could have, would have given everything up had it not been sort of forced on me. There were some really tough years. It is hard to walk away from your home, family, life, and friends to start all over from scratch someplace else. I am forever glad that it worked out the way it did. The town that I left where I was raised has become a hell hole. I knew even back then that I had to get my daughter out.

My only advice to anyone is simply if you ever are forced to move to make it count. Money isn't all that important.

39. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    My parents moved us out of California 60 years ago. My next move is six feet under. I am constantly trying to improve my current position.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there is always some excuse why people don't move, some more valid than others, but once TSHTF ITS TOO LATE!!!

Sourdough and poltiregist like this.
  41. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    If you and a large team spent months and months working long and hard, to construct a simple and condensed sentence, containing absolute truth as to this threads question, no better sentence could be constructed.......it is totally perfect.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  42. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Most people "survive" no matter where they live.
    Moving somewhere "safer" isn't realistic nor necessary for the overwhelming majority.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    That depends on the precise definition of "TSHTF".

Most of the time and for most people it's only temporary, and not some apocalyptic occurrence of Biblical proportions.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  44. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    My vote goes to Snyper.

We can rely on some history records with their examples. Aforesaid maxes the use of SHTF and worse.

In WWII, "pure" urbanites fled to the eastern European forests and signed on as partisans. Some of these groups of partisans had living conditions with school classes for children, medical facilities, ... some even had drama clubs for quality entertainment. Of course, the partisans had a perimeter security program and the related et cetra.

Over in Asia, we can learn of "pure" urbanites fleeing Hong Kong, BCC to Canton City and environs to escape the Japanese aircraft and the later Japanese troops with their internment camps.

I've read material on both above areas and also spoke to participants. Obviously they survived and, with documents, moved here.

"Where one can live, one can live well." Anon.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  45. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'd stay away from cities if the only reason was to avoid places that flip God the bird.

The cities are constructed of enormous domino lines -- they are an accident waiting to happen. Then add to this their overt rejection of anything Holy. Tiptoe out of such places and get far, far away. God does occasionally sneeze.

Radar, TMT Tactical and LastOutlaw like this.