Winter Camping

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by randyt, Jan 19, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Just got back from a few day winter camp trip. I slept under a lean-to tarp in my sled. Great sleeping bag and a couple wool blankets. It didn't get real cold, maybe 12 degrees at night at times.

Somehow my sleeping bag got wet on the first night due to a wet driving rain. I was a bit nervous. I woke up at about 3 am, cold and concerned. I started a fire, had some wood put up but not enough to burn 24-7. That would be a lot of wood. I made it through to morning in good cheer, was going to bail out but one of the guys had a hot tent and offered to dry my bag. So we did. I reset my tarp into a flatter position, The next night was good but things were damp. I am very careful about getting wet but this time things went wonky.

It got me thinking about the bug out folks. After a few days gear is going to need to be dried out. Even in dry cold conditions, frost will build up. It can be knocked off but still will eventually need to be dried.

I wondered about Bill Moreland. Bill wondered around the Idaho wilderness for about 11 years. He was a craphead and would steal from Forest service cabins. Even so he would stay out living in hollow logs and such. What did he do to dry out?

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Randy,

I'm one of those bug-out folks.

My environment here changed over the last few years. Now, am anticipating the roads will be flooded and blocked by abandoned vehicles. Forest fires are a big worry.

My bug out trip is a hike to our inflatable boat. The extra clothes and sleeping bags are in water proof bags but know the duration of their value from experience (a short time). No answer from me; just a cartridge-fueled space heater.

That 12 degrees makes me shiver !

Glad to hear your venture was successful.

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, there is always a chance that things can go sideways, sometimes quick. Here in the PNW I have picked up a few 'dry out' tricks:
    • Boots wet? Take out the insoles and set them aside. Pack the inside with grasses and leaves, as dry as you can find them. When the materials are completely soaked from absorbing the moisture, repeat the process until you get it as dry as possible. Not perfect, but it does work - finding the dry materials to accomplish this is the hardest part.
    • Cloths wet? Keep a pair or two of socks, underwear, and long underwear top & bottom - rolled super tight and placed in a waterproof or at least nearly waterproof bag in you B.O.B.. I use multiple zip-lock freezer bags per item set.
    • Is your sleeping bag wet? Wring the moisture out as much as you can and hang it up under a shelter near the fire - it will take a bit, but with persistence and coaxing, it will be dry by the next nights sleep. (I have done this! It takes longer than you think ;)). you can rotate your other gear and even your tent like this in order to dry stuff out. I have found, however, that you must continuously be doing this, so add it to your list of survival tasks besides water, food, and fire, if you do get wet!

4. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Remember many and maybe MOST who are compelled to bug'out of a city will have zero gear, go to church shoes, and office dress. They live in a reality where looking sexy is of paramount priority.

My coldest camp was 36 below zero degrees. My cold camping tip is when you take off your boots off, and put on your down booties........turn your sleeping bag stuff'sack inside out and put your boots in the stuff'sack and put that inside at the foot of your sleeping bag. In the sleeping bag, you don't ever want to try to put on frozen solid boots. Wet boots suck, but frozen boots can be fatal.

I buy disposable hand and toe warms by the case.

TMT Tactical, Justin Baker and randyt like this.
  5. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    some folks fill water bottles with hot water and slip those into the boots. They say it works good. I have picked up a hot tent the other day, just need to make a small wood stove.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    There is now days a whole new system for long term sub-sub-sub zero camping. I have never tried it but it is what they use in arctic race competition, like the "I Did'a-shoe" The core of the system is they use lighter weight sleeping bags and put a special long plastic bag inside the bag, which is full of water in the morning, but it keeps the perspiration out of the bag. They are in a race so no time to be drying stuff out, or cook, just run, run, run, or snowshoe, or X-country ski.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Those fitting that description won't think to leave.
    They will sit and wait for help.

woodsman and TMT Tactical like this.