World Maps Updates For Disaster Prep

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Jan 13, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    It sound more like it was Intel who were seeking partner to develop their AI. Basically Intel want to test their AI in a more realistic condition. The way I see it, Intel is intend to market their AI for defence sector.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

I agree.

Is it about annotating maps with unlisted bridges for disaster prep or for target acquisition ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    all bridges are critical structures in that they can be breached, a large lorry will damage a bridge, a storm can bring heavy debris down river which can take out a bridge.
    a landslide can take out a bridge.
    I know of several cases where this has happened in the UK.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

Bridges are definitely structures and part of the transportation infrastructure - but not all are critical.

Think of DR Congo and Haiti. If some of the smaller bridges left the scene, the locals would relocate to more appropriate areas for their own personal situations. For example, the single teen mother with infant would/could/should move to a community where there is a medical clinic for routine health care visits for baby. Currently, these mothers neglect the child's health care until a catastrophe occurs. They then rely on eg OXFAM, UK in Haiti and the many other orgs from US.

Even south of here, where the USN has its home, all bridges are not part of critical infrastructure. Some bridges of the North Carolina Outer Banks were built and still maintained for second home owners with their US Government subsidized houses.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Devon-where I live-is a very rural county, there are many rivers and river valleys, if a bridge is shut or damaged its a long detour to the next bridge over the river.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

Devon, rest of UK, less eg Belgravia, Westminster, are sophisticated areas of the world, with realistic plans for emergency rehab.

Most of the world is not sophisticated and a bridge rehab merely aggravates the dangers to the locals. My examples were DR Congo and Haiti.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't call Devon "sophisticated"!!!:D:D

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    L.W,

Calibrate Devon with the places I've worked emergency responses in and you are in prepper luxury.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe, but government responses to far south west emergencies tend to be slow and late to the party.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    We're the same here. After the bushfires, one of the main roads was closed for months. My son was unable to get to work, for example without a 3 hour detour. Not viable at all.

So here, they are very critical.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Devon is very hilly, especially in the north where I live, a bit like the fingers of your hand, the fingers are the hills and the space in between is the river valley with the rivers at the bottom, you have to travel up one hill and down the next to get to the river bridge at the bottom, out in the countryside the bridges are old pack horse bridges and there is a weight and width limit, a big heavy truck would damage it and a bigger truck would get stuck.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Blitz,

What is "critical" is determined by the political establishment.

Two of the basic criteria used to determine what is critical are: 1. financial costs and 2. labor requirements.

Your area might not be deemed critical.

Prep for realistic worst case scenarios.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't want the political establishment deciding what is "critical" for me and mine's survival!
    in the past they have been found to be wanting in their response-to say the least.

TMT Tactical likes this.