Would You Eat A Friend's Dead Body In A Crash Like The Movie "alive"?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by joegirl, Jul 5, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Would you eat a friend's dead body like in the movie "Alive" or would you rather starve to death? I know it's difficult to say for sure what we will do in certain situations until we get there, but under extreme hunger and enormous desire to survive, would you do it?

SimplyD likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    we have had threads on cannibalism before, they are in the archives somewhere.
    no I wouldn't, its not a good idea to eat the flesh of the same species that you yourself are, apart from anything else the health problems that this causes could be very serious indeed.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This is a good hypothetical question. My answer is no. I have a weak stomach for such unusual act. When I see a mouse or cockroach at home while eating, expect me to stop eating. Just the thought that there is a dead companion is already unsettling much more with the prospect of eating a cadaver. Again, I cannot do that even if I die of hunger.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Eat a friend? No, I don't think I could. Not sure if I could eat human flesh at all. I think I would go in search of another food source before I would eat human flesh.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  5. Maxthewriter

Maxthewriter New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Eating that would probably kill me faster than if I decided to starve. I wouldn't. Naah! Not in this world.
    Besides, there are several other reasons why I wouldn't:

1) he's my friend. I should be ready to die instead of chewing someone I consider to be my friend.

2) he's human, I'm human. Personally, I'd rather kick the bucket than eat a person. I feel, Canibals have a mental condition. Even lions don't eat eachother.

6. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Nice... If i want to survive, i would do it. Its against my will but my will to survive will surely be much stronger.

7. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Probably not. I get survival and all that, but cannibalism is probably one of the few lines I won't even go near. Either you die of starvation or you live and get labeled a cannibal for the rest of your life. I don't think it's worth it in my opinion. Dying with a good name is a lot better than surviving and ruining your name for all eternity. I'm sure I also won't want my body eaten up if I was the first to die in case of a scenario where there's no way out.

8. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Ravinous

jeager and koolhandlinc like this.
  9. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Just last week, my buddy and I were way back in mountain country. I knew that he used to date my cousin Brenda Jean; what I didn't know was that ...

koolhandlinc and jeager like this.
  10. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Male or female friend? How did they take care of their health? What seasonings are available?

koolhandlinc likes this.
  11. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Chimpanzees kill & eat each other, & they are closer to humans than lions.
    Keith.

koolhandlinc likes this.
  12. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Definitely, this is the kind of situation that I hope to never have to go through because it would be extremely complicated. :confused: However, extreme situations require extreme attitudes...So, considering that aspect, I would end up feeding myself through them if I really had a chance of surviving.

13. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    If your starving and there's a body there you may say you would not eat but history tells a different story alive Donner party the Exsexs I am sure there's more just don't eat the brains that's where you get the bad shakes like the Cannabis of paup new guniee

koolhandlinc likes this.
  14. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I can most certainly say I would highly doubt that I would eat another humans body, even if it was dead. It's pretty nasty lol and I don't think that can be healthy for you especially because it's uncooked.

15. zackdsilvis

zackdsilvis New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I think everybody would if their life depended on it but obviously I'd hope nothing would ever have to come to that. But if I was in that situation I'd have no clue how I would react and it's just crazy to think about doing it, but it's to survive.

16. Maxthewriter

Maxthewriter New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Lol. You're right. It doesn't happen often, though. I like to think it's the crazy ones, just like crazy humans, that indulge in it. However, they do not do that because they.

17. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Survival is survival. Humans have resorted to cannibalism many times when in dire straits. Jamestown is a good example of cannibalism that happened that winter. A young girl was murdered and the surviving townspeople ate her to survive. Wars are another instance where cannibalism was pretty rampant though most modern history texts sterilize that fact.

18. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Well...........................................depends upon what you mean by......................

NO! I ain't going there!

Eating a human?
    No.
    Why?
    Ethical and religious reasons.
    Recall the plane crash decades ago where people survived high on a mountain?
    Some resorted to eating the dead.
    They were eventually rescued.
    Those that ate dead and those that did not were in equal bad condition.
    The Donner Party marooned in the mountains of the U.S.
    Some restored to eating the dead.
    Same story.
    Those that did and did not partake that survived were in equal condition.
    Survivors ate horses first and eventually leather harnesses then............

19. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Ethics and religion don't matter if you're trying to survive. Stripped of our comfort zones and starvation messing with rational mindsets...we're animals in the end. Jamestown was pretty much Puritans (super highly religious), that didn't stop them. Every human has a breaking point. Some have stronger wills than others. However one person with a strong will versus a mob of starving people who don't have the same strength of will won't likely survive themselves. That's just the nature of humans at our very base. Sure we'll eat animals first and resort to leather before committing the ultimate human taboo, but we as a species aren't above it. No amount of morality or religious piety will make the hunger pangs go away as you waste away and your body consumes its own organs and brain matter and your recently dead buddy is right there and available. Humans are hardwired to survive. All beings are. Even if it means to resorting to eating our own dead. Have you been so hungry that you thought of things you never would if you were healthy? Starving to the point where even your own fecal matter seemed appealing? That eating a fellow recently dead human being isn't as bad? That's what starvation does to the human mind. Your body is doing everything in its power to survive even if it means even burning through your own brain for calories. There was an experiment on starvation in the 40's and it shows just how much starvation destroys your ability to have any sort of moral judgement.

SimplyD likes this.
  20. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    "Some have stronger wills than others."

Indeed.

"That's just the nature of humans at our very base."

Such intellect for one so young.

"No amount of morality or religious piety will make the hunger pangs go away as you waste away and your body consumes its own organs and brain matter and your recently dead buddy is right there and available. Humans are hardwired to survive. All beings are."

Decades ago my mother had an acquaintance that was a member of a
    religious Christian sect that didn't believe in blood transfusions or organ transplants.
    The friend needed one to live.
    She refused.
    She died.
    My cousin is of the same sect.
    He has kidney failure.
    He needs a kidney or face dialysis at least 3 X a week.
    He refuses a transplant and goes to dialysis 3 X a week.
    Determination in the face of death.
    He suffers terribly.
    I offered him one of mine if I am compatible.
    He refuses.
    My cousin still works every day in spite of his condition.
    Everyone ain't the same.
    Decades ago doctors said if I didn't have surgery I'd die and I would
    need at least 5 units of whole blood for the surgery.
    I refused.
    I'm still alive and pretty healthy.
    There is a TON of money made in medicine using blood that is
    donated.
    Donated. Free.
    $900 to as much as $3,500 per unit.
    For blood that is donated.
    Mega bucks.
    Humans are hardwired to survive.
    I agree.

How many patients contracted AIDS from blood transfusions?
    Transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) through transfusion of contaminated blood components was documented in the United States in 1982

I would not eat a human under any circumstances.

But then I'm not starving to death either.

This religious sect considered blood transfusion and organ transplants
    as eating a human.
    To me that is a bit of a stretch.
    In past years this sect reversed that stand and leaves it to the faithful
    as a "matter of conscience".

One wonders how that benefits those faithful that freakin' died refusing
    a transfusion or transplant?????
    Those folks even let their own children die for want of such care.
    What ever.

21. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think there are too many health issues involved in cannibalism to go there.
    if anyone has got to that stage then they have failed as a survivalist.

jeager likes this.
  22. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Will there be mustard?
    Seriously though, I have eaten all sorts of things over the years in an effort to get over my social conditioning but currently cannibalisem is a step too far.:eek:

23. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Who else to invite to this sumptuous repast? On our list, Idi Amin mustn't be last!

Lkr1JkHN9stdOt2tQuD9G68-Pqsvtd7G.jpeg

Stan, who will sing at this wonderful thing?! It's little Miss Hackman you obviously must bring!

This meal it gonna be fun. Oh Stanley, do bring your gun.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  24. koolhandlinc

koolhandlinc Expert Member
      245/345

Blog Posts:
    The Donner party always comes to mind. I could remember an air craft in the Ande's that crashed. I remembered stories of other incidents. So I googled. Interesting! I guess during some famines it was the other meat.

I would not eat my family. Would have to be really hard pressed into a situation to start eating human flesh. Can't say what I would do if snowed in the mountains or on a deserted island.

25. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think all sane people find the idea of eating another human repugnant. I will say no I wouldn't, and hope that I would not change my view regardless of circumstances. But how many of us have faced starvation in a frozen wilderness with no other sources of food. As I said no sane person would want to eat another human, but those conditions would challenge your sanity, so I don't know if anyone can say with certainty what they would do.

jeager likes this.
  26. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Well at present I'm well fed.
    I simply don't know.
    I'd like to believe I would not.
    I have considerable skills at finding food in the
    wild but in 10 feet of snow?????????
    that said we are unlikely to ever be in a situation like the Donner party.
    We probably never travel over mountains in a
    wagon train these days.
    Airliner crash in mountains?
    Not likely either for anyone.
    Most crashes like that are fatal anyway.
    People that did not eat the dead were in the same condition at those that did.
    Research that if you like.

27. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you, Keith.
    There are other things you can eat before resorting to human flesh. You can devise a trap that could catch small animals in the forest. You can cook them to eat.

Even if I don't know whose flesh it, I wouldn't eat human flesh.

Regards.

28. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    No, I'd never. It's not just we are talking about a friend... but another human being. Even if I consider myself a survivalist, I know I won't be able to do it. I'd just go and find something else to eat, I refuse to think that eating my friend is the only option to stay alive.

29. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I can't think of doing anything like that. You can see that going at that point of time is pushing way too far. I for one can think of here that such type of movies often may misguide people. And people should be wary of what goes into their head. Sometimes such options can be bad as it can be as good as programming someone to do that.