Would you eat something raw in a survival situation?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 16, 2016.

Would you eat something raw in a survival situation? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Wild game is a bit different from chickens or other farm animals. Lots of disease coming from eating animals from the wild, to the point that people can sometimes still get sick even when the rabbits or foxes have been thoroughly cleaned and cooked. I agree it depends on how desperate are you, but for the most part eating wild animals raw would make you die of poisoning rather than dying of starvation. Pick your (no pun intended) poison I guess.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    wild game is better for you than commercial meat, farmed meat is full of chemicals and anti biotics, in some places the food it is fed on is GM, wild meat is natural meat, it has had a natural life, free to run about not confined in some pen on concrete, but you will have to do the butchering yourself which is what puts most people off.
    I agree eating it raw is not to be recommended, it should be thoroughly cooked first.

3. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Oh My God I can't imagine eating raw meats! ! First if I'm to go travelling or do some wild vacation the first thing I would learn is to make Fire without matches!! This is the most important tip to survive wild life not only hunger but also coldness in Forests or whatever which can put you in that Situation!!
    So personally if the last choice I have is raw foods I would choose Herbs over Meats plus Fruits.

4. Art Jones

Art Jones Member
      11/29

Blog Posts:
    I agree 100% but I was under the impression that we were unable to have fire. I HATE sushi like Terry Bradshaw said " where we come from we call that bait" so do I, ALWAYS cook meat, seafood etc.when possible.

5. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Well of course i would prefer lighting a fire over eating raw but if there was no other choice then yes. I'd favor eating fish though because fish meat is rich in nutrients like vitamins.

1. OursIsTheFury
      It kind of asks the question though; would you rather die of starvation, or would you rather risk getting a stomach bug from eating wild game raw? Dying of starvation is one thing, but to die from eating something which lead you to be poisoned or too sick to retain fluids, then it makes it the more "violent" way to die, huh? But then again I'm being gruesome again.

OursIsTheFury, Jul 16, 2017
  6. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Point taken. Still when the hunger sets in I don't think there would be much of a choice. I figure the risk of getting a stomach bug would not even cross the mind of a starving man. You'd just be willing to eat whatever to could get your teeth on. Of course, it would take a few days or weeks to get to that stage. Good to know however the risks of doing so. and how you can prevent. Knowledge is power as always.

7. Jameson

Jameson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    If I had no experience in starting a fire, I might not consider eating raw meat.This is because uncooked meat carries greater potential for harbouring disease causing parasites and other micro organisms which might reduce your chances of survival.Therefore,in such a situation, I would rather settle for berries instead.

8. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    If the situation demands it, probably yeah. I do not have experience eating raw things though so I do not know how would that fare for me.

Of course, I would prefer food cooked and I would only eat raw if there is no other way to survive.