Would you volunteer to spend a month in the wild?

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by Christavia, Jun 12, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Hi everyone,
    I am just wondering if anyone here would volunteer to spend an entire month out in the wild, being that you guys enjoy camping pretty much. I personally do not think I could survive. Short trips would be a more ideal situation for me, probably a day or two.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I don't know, but given you don't state any conditions, then I can safely say "No". I would not go willingly to the wild only to survive for a month and prove a point. What do you gain for do it during a month? There is a bunch of things that could end up bad depending of bioma, even with high chances of survival if you know what you're doing.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    First of all, it would depend where the WILD is. If it is in the jungle or desert, then no. I know my limits and I do not know enough yet to deal with these two environments.

4. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I would volunteer but only in terms of having someone there who can actually teach me more about survival training.

Other than that I would be a little hesitant because for me it would be very important to know where this place would be before I go there and have time to prepare myself a bit more.

For me, there does not have to necessarily be a point to prove. I would see it as a chance to train myself and learn more about surviving.

5. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Where in the wild? Australia? Hell no. Hawaii? Hell yes.

It all depends on where you're at and what ya got. I would never, ever be caught dead in the outback by myself...well, I'd be caught dead because I'd have died by the time they found me probably. If I had some moderately favorable conditions to work with, I'm there. Do I want to be prepared for both? Yes. Obvi. But hey, it's a what if question :D

Christavia likes this.
  6. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Personally I would see little point in doing this, as I have spent six months at a time doing this in the Territory. I do suggest though that IF anyone is actually interested & serious about long term wilderness survival, that they do spend at least two weeks living off their pack provisions. A weekend camp is simply not enough time to get any idea of what you need to carry with you in such a situation. I also recommend that you do not go alone!
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Bad time of year for me hay season but then 111a of ground in the hills guess im here maybe you and i keith should go to the city see how we fare there lol

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I had watched several episodes of the tv reality show called Survivor where the contestants are placed in an island and left to their own devices for their needs. And although there are cameras around, those Survivor contestants never failed to show the hardships that one has to endure when left in the woods with barely nothing. Starting with the shelter, it was fine at first but when it comes to searching for food, the animalistic behavior of humans tend to surface as evidenced by squabbles and unfair practices.

I don't think I would agree to a test of spending a month in the wild regardless of how much money I would be paid. One month is such a long time and I don't want to waste my time for that challenge even if that situation can be a reality sooner or later.

9. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely volunteer to live in the wild for a month. I think it would be a fun way to experience something new and understand what some people really have to deal with in their day to day lives. It's a small glimpse into the world that we live in. I don't mind what season it is at all. If someone offered to take care of my finances while I'm gone, I'd gladly go out into the wild to live. I think it would be a nice way to appreciate the things I do have in my life, living in a home and not in the wild. We take a lot of the things in our lives for granted. Maybe living in the wild would make me appreciate my bad days.

10. hades_leae

hades_leae Active Member
      48/93

Blog Posts:
    I would love to camp out for a month, If one knows how to cover all of their daily essentials, then there should really be no problem. On the 21st century we have technology, laptops, cell phones, satellites, etc. Everything can be on the go, we can do so much, so going out for one month would still feel like home. That's how you would know if you could really survive in the wild.

11. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Whether I would volunteer to go into the wild would depend on the purpose of the activity in question. I would gladly do it if it was an educational tour to learn about the various fauna and flora. Things like medicinal plants and the like. The other reason would be to be on a religious sabbatical or to recover from a major disruptive life event. In this case, I would rather be in a group.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'd love to camp out for a month away from everyone else- my idea of heaven!!, I've done it for a week to 10 days but always had to come back because of work commitments.

13. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    It would be interesting for me, just trying to survive without all the luxuries I am afforded at home. All those wild meats, fruits and vegetables, bathing naked at the falls or in a little stream. Especially if you have most of the necessities it can be interesting. If i was getting paid or getting some kind of perks to do it then I would most definitely consider.

14. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't volunteer. I'd just go. I have that in mind and since I love nature and I respect it it would be great. I had been living like that several times. It was only for several weeks but the experience is very good. I was in a house but without electricity. I would plant everything and cut the wood for heating the water and the whole place actually. It was on a nearby mountain. My uncle has an old house there and he lets me go whenever I want to. I remember I'd go to sleep around 7 PM. :)

15. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I have to agree I wouldn't mess with it, unless I had to. Most survival shows don't even last a month. If I was skilled enough and they offered me 100,000 dollars then I would do it. I would need experience and lot's of training tho.

16. AlexM

AlexM New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely volunteer to spend a month in the wild, but I would need more experience and knowledge first. The most I've ever spent in the wild was two days on a camping trip. It would be a great challenge to stock up on survival knowledge and see just how long I can last out there!

17. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Most definitely I would. there is nothing bad tat can come out of this experience except for a certain sense of surety in your ability to survive through some of the harshest conditions. Knowing that anything can happen and using the opportunity of being stranded in the wild as a way to prepare yourself is a positive in my eyes.

18. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    It's basically camping, so yes, why not. As long as I'm with a group, and an expert guiding us, I don't mind. But if I have to live alone in the woods for a month, even if I had brought provisions with me, I think the sylvan dread would take over me pretty quickly if I do not have a single human companion with me in the vast wilderness. To be able to hear nature and all of its inhabitants, but to do so 24/7, all without the company of someone else, would probably drive anyone insane after a while. It's better if you have someone watching your back, at least that way, you can sleep better at night.

19. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    While I love spending time outside, I don't think I would volunteer. I would need some kind of motivation. Like I couldn't just decide to leave my job for a month. I need the money that month would provide. Also it depends on the location. I would never volunteer to be in a cold place. Actually, I don't think I would even be willing to be paid to survive in a cold place.

20. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I guess it depends on what purpose? But at this point, i'm not really in the position to make voluntary wilderness isolation trips, I'm not prepared and definitely slacking in the basic survival skills, i probably wouldn't last longer than a day or two.

21. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I would so long as there was some type of awarding system that can provide me with some monetary compensation. I would not be going into the wilderness for any reason that might be unnecessary at this specific time.

22. AWPEK

AWPEK New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I would volunteer to spend a month in the wild. I always wanted to test my skills and see how long I can survive out there. I also hold a vague idea of what to do in most emergency scenarios or how to acquire water in many various ways. Plus I've been eager to kill a wild animal for the first time and consume its delicious meat. I'm also curious about how hard it is to create a shelter and stay safe from the insects. So volunteering to spend a month in the would truly become a booster for me to gain some new skills and bring my own confidence up more. P.S I would not volunteer if I had to do this naked. Clothes are the one thing I need.

23. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you don't yet have these skills, I seriously recommend that you learn them before spending a month in the wild !
    Keith.

24. Rhomhie Morelh Campo

Rhomhie Morelh Campo New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Yes because it is a good idea having quality time in nature you can relax and have a peace of mind, during the stay in the wild you can hunt just like Minecraft, but it is hard without knowledge in surviving :(

25. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Oh, you bet your boots I would. I love camping! The first I ever I went was when I was 15 with my football team up by Lake Michigan. It was a very good experience for me except that we went tubing down a river for literally 6 hours and everyone got sun burnt really bad, lol!

26. Dejah

Dejah New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    There's absolutely no way I would volunteer to stay in the wild for a month, let alone survive out there for a couple days. I don't think people realize how dangerous it actually is to be out there with no fresh water and no proper sleeping arrangements. There are wild animals running loose all around you and you expect a human being to stay out there. They will either starve to death because they couldn't find food in time or get eaten by some exotic animal lingering around. Even if you did have clothes and water and food out there, their are mosquitoes and all types of insects that will just pick at your skin and snakes that are slithering all over the ground and trees. It would be gross to live out there and I couldn't do it even if someone paid me because something seriously could go wrong. What happens if you get bit by something or need medical attention for whatever reason and can't reach a hospital in time, well its over. It would be a great idea for a couple hours, but sleeping there is a definite no.