You Can Only Bring 3 Things To Survive

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by MiFit, Jun 11, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Oh this is a tough one because there are so many things that I consider essential. Well, off the top of my head I think that I would probably bring a nicely sharpened hatchet, a magnesium fire starter, and some container for carrying fresh water. That hatchet would obviously be essential for gathering wood in order to create a fire or shelter. The magnesium starter because it's incredibly easy and quick to get a fire going, and lasts a long time unlike a lighter. And of course being that water is the most important element in our bodies, something to carry fresh water in is essential.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  2. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    A knife, a solar-powered torchlight. Get me a mechanical one is there isn't the solar. And matches.

3. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    Two handed machete. bug net. Life straw

4. Ronald Collins

Ronald Collins New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Unlimited food, unlimited beverages and a really nice house.

5. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    So I guess in the scenario you managed to face a survival situation with 3 items far removed from the rest of the world where there were no other signs of civilization. I think if I had a saw back machete, a gun, and a fire starter I would manage. I can't imagine how I would end up somewhere that I could not find someplace to scrounge up other things I would need such as the container for water and other items of usefulness.

6. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I would bring a knife, matches, and water container as well. There are my reasons:
    1. Knife-Knives would help cut into various types of vegetation and meat. I would easily be able to make my way through the wilderness with a knife. Humans are natural canines, but we can't depend on our teeth alone to help us chew and get through obstacles. The modern invention of the knife is a marvel.
    2. Matches-I will need matches to heat my food. I don't want to contract dysentery if I'm not careful about how I handle my food. Cooking my food would help me to get rid of microbes. Also, when it's cold in the night, I can light some logs on fire for some warmth.
    3. Water container-Humans need water more than food. When sailors on the ocean didn't have access to food, they always made sure they drank enough water and made access to water a higher priority than access to food. Drinking water will help you live longer in emergencies.

7. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    A quality clipper style knife, a water filter bottle and a flint. When I'm outside the UK these are EDC.
    Within the UK, I would be carrying a Swiss Army knife instead of the clipper.

8. m33kuh

m33kuh Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you about knowing how to start a fire. Since you are only allowed to bring 3, and know how to start a fire is a plus.
    But it also depends on the area. If it's raining a lot, then you ought to find a cave so it'll be harder.

9. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It is tough I guess. I'd bring knife, first aid medical kit, and bag. This can be sometimes enough to handle. You can then collect the rest from the resources around. I have found that food and some other stuff can be collected with knife. Bag can hold stuff. And in case of medical injury you can have basic med kit around. That should take care of the rest.

10. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I would bring
    I would bring a lighter, a jug of water, and some water purifying tablets.

11. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    but this sort of mental exercise is baloney

Ain't it though.:D

Survival means being prepared in every way. Mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, equipment............

We who are interested in surviving a shtf, be it short of long term are gathered here to learn
    from one another.
    I doubt any of us can think of everything all of the time.

I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here.

I have lots of guns and ammo but no matter how long you boil bullets you still can't eat 'em.

12. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    you'll get enslaved, raped, killed, if you lack fighting gear, skill and the determination to not be victimized.

In post shtf the weak will be killed and eaten.
    That is no joke either. The difference between you and your neighbor in a post shtf is
    about 3 days without food or water.
    Either help the needy or be defend yourself and yours!

I'm pretty safe where I am as my home is a bit isolated. That said I'm aware that I live
    about 30 miles from a city of 50% ethnic, and a mix of trash welfare people.
    I'd be willing to bet when that type exhausts "resources" locally they will probe into
    the county side.
    Most country people are armed.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm hundreds of miles from any big city, out in the British countryside, most British people don't know where their food comes from and they eat "convenience" food, they couldn't cook a meal from fresh if you gave them the ingredients for free and they'd run away screaming if you gave them a dead rabbit and they'd faint on the spot if you gave them a deer carcass(" you cant eat Bamby"!!).
    if you think British people are going to WALK the best part of 300 miles just to end up on my doorstep your crazy, they'll be dead or dying before they get half way- that's if they even get half way, too many places for them to either fight to get through or detour around, that's if they can get off their backsides in the first place.
    just been watching a programme that gives the general attitude that anywhere in my area is considered "the middle of nowhere" and "too remote" by the masses to have anything of value.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone seen what happens when 6.5 million people tried to get onto the roads recently? the roads ended up like a huge parking lot, and where were they all going anyway? its all very well for the Sheriff or the Governor to say " evacuate and evacuate now!" but where are they all going, do they even know?

15. Amol Jadhav

Amol Jadhav New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I'd have with me a knife, a flint and a steel mug.. . Most importantly you need is your alert brain, ingenuity and strong will power.

16. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    and your skills and knowledge, without them any amount of gear is just so much luggage.

17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I bet not one of those stuck were members of this site.

Sheeple. A perrrrrrrrrfect example.

I grew up in the country side on 5 acres. Dad planted 1 to 2 acres of garden, then apple trees,
    and such. We raised chickens, ducks, rabbits, beef, hog.
    I helped kill and butcher. (required you see)
    One day I was checking out at a grocery with some chicken gizzards, hearts, livers, necks etc.
    Essential for GOOD chicken soup.
    The teen girl at the register recoiled in horror at the mere sight of the innerds exclaiming
    "ewwwwwwwwwwwww, what IS that!"
    I said, "Just ring it up honey, it's a cultural thing.".
    The sheeple ain't got a clue and don't want to know.

18. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Fiance Dolores has a home in Cape Coral right on a canal.
    11 feet above the water but it rose up to 15 feet and electric was out but only 24 hours.
    Frozen food won't thaw in a freezer for at least 3 days so no loss there.
    Her relations there that didn't leave are going to check her home but I think all is well.
    The relations sustained zero damage save for downed palms.
    Her Ohio home is huge at 6 bedrooms and 4 baths, 1.25 acres and a 3 acre "pond" out back.
    Pond, fish, survival don'cha'know?

Fish won't bite? Explosives!:p

My home is a small one floor ranch, 2 bat, 3 bedrooms, on fifteen acres, 14 is woods.
    Deer, squirrel, rabbits, etc. It's hard to starve an ol' hillbilly.;)

Next spring I'm putting up a small chicken coop, perhaps some rabbit hutches, (likely)
    maybe some ducks....................I dunno. I did that a few years ago and stray, running at large
    dogs, killed 'em all.
    Dogs at large now get shot on sight. Don't care if its a pet, running at large is illegal.
    If I know it's a pet and can find the owner I'll take it back and "advise" them it's
    illegal .....................and then some.:mad:

19. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    As I said this thread about only 3 things to survive is mental mastearbration.

The whole thrust of "survival" is to BE prepared NOT limited to a pocket knife, a tin cup,
    and a Bic lighter.
    I have an old book called "Stocking Up" with all kinds of neat tips.
    I heartily recommend the Fox Fire series of books. I have the first 7 of them.
    https://www.amazon.com/foxfire-Books/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:283155,k:foxfire

Other sources I'm sure. They are replete with suggestions that are proven, and fun tall tales
    enjoyable to read.
    Get 'em.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would want a triple ground Kukri, a 1/2" X 6" ferocerium rod and a big mosquito net. My kukri has a razor sharp knife grind near the handle, a broader tougher machete grind in the concave curve for batoning and and almost hatchet grind on the convex curve to the point for chopping. I try to make the tip sharper than the convex curve for gutting and also usually put a gut hook on the back side eith a dremel and round diamond file.

I agree that the saws on the back of a machette is worse than useless. I want to be able to use my big knife as a draw knife and for batoning. That saw just gets in the way. With a ferocerium rod I can always make a fire. Lots of practice and a little knowledge makes it a certainty in about any location.

In East Texas the Mosquitoes and biting flies will just eat you up at night. BUT the real reason for the net is that it can be used in all manner of ways as a fish trap or even a cast net for both fish and birds. Again a little knowledge and lots of practice with nets in general both use and making. There is a lot of water here and a major part of the easily available protein will come from the rivers, creeks, lakes and ponds.

Each person needs to pick their equipment based primarily on their PROVEN skills and the specific environment that they expect to be in. I don't need a flashlight because I have rather excellent night vision. That is mostly a learned skill. At night if you will learn to "see" out of the sides of your eyes rather than the middle you will "see" a lot better. This has to do with the placement of the rods and cones on your retina.

Water where I live is everywhere and it is pretty easy to make a natural filter here. The net though barely nosed out a Sawyer Water Filter. Three things limit means some serious decisions and limitations. The thing about a ferocerium rod is that you have to understand that to start the initial fire you need to have extremely fine and very dry fibers. I know how and where to fine those things in MY location so can start a fire even in a downpour if I can get a little shelter from the rain. If you don't understand this then a ferocerium rod by itself is about useless. ALL of my rods are on a braided jute cord fob or paired with a bundle of jute. That jute if dry is like gasoline when you unwind it. I usually also have a little piece of fat wood on the fob as well.

21. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    billa said: The alone show would be the only reason to accept ANY limitation on the number of your items.

The alone show is a SHOW. Entertainment. PERIOD.

I like Survivor man but there are FEW stories and NO t-v on how many times he nearly
    freakin' DIED. Did ya know there is ALWAYS a rescue team with aircraft and choppers to
    help him pronto if need be?
    There is. Didja think the network is going to risk loosing a money maker?
    No!
    Also didja know that the star and crew are heavily insured, paid by the network?
    The show Deadly Catch also heavily insured. One camera man fell down a boat hatch and
    broke his back. How about River Monster. ( I love that one. Jeremy Wade gets to fish all over the world.)
    Think, think, think...............................
    The insurance for Mythbusters is astronomical.

22. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Kukri I want one. Mine Cold Steel Kukri got stolen on a fishing trip to the Far North in Canada.
    Damn Frenchie thieves. They hate us but love our money!

23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I have a cold steel kukri machete and a sort of real one from Nepal but my main one is a Kabar Kukri that is made from 1085 carbon steel. It took me a little while to make the modifications on it but in the end for the money (less than 50 bucks) it is an excellent tool that will take a beating.

24. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Nawwww, none of that.
    I'm buggin in so have lots of supplies.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sure it did but there were reasons for all those things.
    keeping your head down, not going against the government and being a grey man -or woman- and you'll probably be left alone, the government may not survive- believe it or not they are human too and just as mortal as the rest of us.
    depends where you live too, city or rural.
    where I live it is well known that in a catastrophe we are so far removed from the "Westminster bubble" (London) that we will be left to get on with it as best we can, the govt wont be spending resources on the likes of us.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you want to end up in prison then go for it.
    this is a survival forum not an anarchy site.

27. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Only 3, that’s tough because unless I am naked I already have more than 3 on me. I’d go knife, ferro rod and rope.

The knife for a whole bunch of reasons, the ferro rod for starting fires (can boil water, although Id have to find or make a container, but birchbark works for that) the rope expedient shelter building and more.

I can cut down a good branch for walking stick/ defence.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    That’s undoubtedly true, but most survival situations are not after the SHTF. I have been in vehicles wrecks, broken down in the boonies in all seasons, lost a canoe miles from anywhere, been turned around in the woods and more. All qualify as survival situations non typical definition of SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    No one gives priority to carrying their own water supply, RX and non-RX medicines and extra socks ?

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If I'm going to have to bring my medicines I will need a wheelbarrow!!!

TMT Tactical and The Innkeeper like this.
  31. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    That’s the problem with arbitrary numbers. I have more than 3 types of meds. Extra socks would be high on the list as would be water. There is plenty o& water available where I live (inland temperate rainforest), so just having a way to have safe water would rank higher than carrying water

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Ok, just three things??

Tomahawk for many, many uses: processing wood for fire, shelter, defense, hunting, etc. etc. (I have thrown them for fun for many years, and am deadly accurate. I have no doubt what I could do with it, lol.) There is a small sharpening stone attached to the handle.

Kleen Kanteen (Food Grade 18/8 Stainless Steel water bottle that you can also boil and store water in) for more info about that:
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2011/06/use-your-water-bottle-boil-water-and-cook/

The actual product:
    https://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kantee...Y6DVTW&refRID=HE1YWYZA2NSCSWC7KMPG&th=1&psc=1

Ferro rod for firestarting. This is a new-to-me brand that I may try. I've heard good about this one because of the size and heat of the sparks when you strike it: https://firesteel.com/gobspark-armageddon-and-palm-scraper-2-piece-kit/?revpage=2 #product-reviews

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Here's hoping it stays that way. I've seen forums get out of hand with the kind of verbiage that attracted more than the usual attention. Some forums got shut down by TPTB. Not sure what kind of attention the members got after the forum "went off the air."

Just sayin'

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    My solar powered am/fm/weather/flashlight/shortwave RADIO,
    My 16 oz. stainless steel cup that has a lid and a handle,
    My small tent

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    More fire stick than I every knew existed.

Morgan101 and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  36. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    a knife, a folding saw and a fire steel.
    there are plenty of plastic bottles left lying about to use as a water canteen.
    pine resin is good for making light sticks.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  37. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I would opt for a large hunting knife; a fire steel; and a water filter, either a Life Straw or a Sawyer Mini.

TMT Tactical likes this.