You can use crayons for candles.

Discussion in 'All Resources About Fire' started by tb65, Jun 16, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If you really don't want to carry around candles you can use crayons. Crayons when lit burn for a really long time.
    You can make an emergency torch by tying or duct taping some of these around the top of a stick. These have dual purposes get a coloring book for your kids while your camping for extra activity and for a torch at night if you need one. The best part is these are easy to carry and don't take up a lot of room.

Tina Thompson likes this.
  2. ZoeZoundBarrier

ZoeZoundBarrier Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    This sounds like a great idea. I never thought of this and it is genius actually. The paper on the crayon is flammable so this is an ideal life hack. The problem can arise in the actual advertising of this hack. Irresponsible children might end up getting hurt while trying to light one themselves. Another precaution that probably needs to be looked further into is the fact that most crayons have a label that states they are toxic and should not be eaten. If that is the case then by lighting a crayon you might end up inhaling poisonous fumes. If you do this too often then there can be some serious repercussions.

3. lucidcuber

lucidcuber New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I always wondered when I was younger whether or not crayons were actually made of the same material as candles, and often they are. It really did surprise me how long it burned for when I first tried this too. I pictured it burning down as fast as string, but it burned for a very long time, and even then didn't use much of the crayon.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I'm really surprised to hear this, I knew that crayons were flammable but i didn't know that they would burn for such a long time, but it makes sense. They have the same texture and density as candles do but would you light the directly or try to use a wick?

5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Thanks tb65, this is a really nice idea and I should try it soon. I am currently living in a block with no electricity connection. Power outages are another source of concern in my region. I suppose that the cost of a crayon plus the length of time it burns will save on money used to buy candles.

6. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Mmm curious but I guess is not so practical for me at least. Is more probable to have a pair of good old pieces of wax instead of a bunch of crayons. But maybe somewhere in isolated circumstances, someone have spare crayons to burn in a survival situation.

7. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much for the idea @tb65! :) This is a good way for me to make use of my child's old crayons instead of throwing them in the trash. It's stormy season here in our part of the world right now and power outage is a common thing especially during continuous stormy days. During this season, we usually stock up on candles to use during several days of no electricity. With your idea in mind, using my child's old crayons is one way of saving on candles and maximizing the use of crayons up to their last piece.

8. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for this tip! Just make sure you are burning non-toxic crayons! Burning those super cheap chinese crayons are just plain toxic. You don't want to harm your health for a little light! Best if you have a solar powered flash light. This might be a last resort item. You don't want hot wax burning you if you're walking with these!

9. iseeyou

iseeyou Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yes, i recently come across this little useful info on twitter. I'm very happy to know this, it's very helpful in our day to day life and of course during survival situations. I will never take crayons for granted ever again.

10. rose thornes

rose thornes New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I have tried this one and it works. Before I only used small pieces of crayons to color my candles by melting them together with the broken and left over candles. Now I can used it as candle as well when I can't find candle in emergency situations.

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    Good to hear that someone tried it out but didn't it let of a lot of smoke or did it burn just like a regular candle?

12. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Wow...this is such a great idea. Never thought of this at all. I have stacks of them somewhere in all colours. Can also be used for a romantic candle light dinner haha:D

13. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    That's quite interesting! While they are simple to carry and cheap to buy I gotta ask though: How long do they last and are there any preparations necessary to make it burn more efficiently?

14. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    whats wrong with candles? you can get some decent small ones these days that don't take up much room in a pack.
    or you could make reed lights or a resin torch.