You Laugh But, My "single" Best Advise Hide.

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Sourdough, Jun 9, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Go ahead and laugh, but My "SINGLE" best advise........"HIDE"

My number #1 advise.........is not food, not water, not firearms or band-aids. It is have a place to hide, and better is to have a lot of places to hide. If your plan is to defend your home. Figure out or build a place to hide in or near your home. Find lots of places near where you figure to be, that you can hide.

Forget about "Winning" Gunfights and find places to hide. Once a year I go to town for supplies, I am constantly scanning for places to hide. Culverts and commercial building roof tops are good.

This advise also works well, for riots, or any civil unrest, or big time SHTF events. I plan to hide for (3) Three months, before peeking to see what is the conditions.

So...........I am a coward, you got a problem with that.......???

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Discretion is the better part of valor. I will not engage in a standing firefight, if I can disengage and relocate safely. I will return to reclaim my supplies, on my terms. No "Free Lunch" at my location. I have already mapped out my exit routes (as in 360 degree exits). It would take a small army to trap me in my place. When traveling or just out and about, I enjoy looking over the terrain for secluded passage routes. Stores, I always find the emergency exits. Sh1t happens and it pays to have multiple ways to get back home.

3. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Therefore the skilled leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; Sun Tzu

Any fight averted is a fight won. Caribou

4. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Better to have a place to hide in the house, or abandon the house. What you are protecting is your life, not your stuff. If your stuff is that important, then have it cached in 35 different locations.

5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    You remind me of my Vietnam days . I was doing the same thing you do when you go to town , scanning the ground for a place to jump for cover every where I went .

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:

And, as they say, the best way to win a gunfight is not being there.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I wont be getting into any firefights, I already live in a low population area, post SHTF the population numbers will be even lower, my plan is isolation and avoiding other people-which I am very good at.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    ICF home with 8" concrete walls, every window is a covered firing position. We won't be forced out easily and will have some nasty surprises for anyone that tries. Have only one cache about a quarter mile away but could use more.

If we did have to abandon our place under fire then we'd be using smoke to help cover our escape.

a9fd1da959e054fc74262c1a007cc560.jpeg

Potassium nitrate granules ground into powder. Empty propane cylinder with valve drilled out, potassium nitrate + corn syrup in a 3:2 ratio by weight, mix well, and fuse. If completely filled it burns for over 10 minutes producing a lot of smoke.

9. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Texans don't hide...We hunker down. Any fight that you can avoid goes down as a WIN!!! With no hospitals or doctors around the meek will truly inherit the Earth. If you make a habit out of fighting with people you are not going to last very long. I don't care how good you are or what weapons you have. One bullet almost anywhere in the body will probably be the end of you. If the bullet itself doesn't do it the infections will.

10. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    IBME,

"lots of places" involves 2 important matters:

1. lots of geographic area 2. the original place has the same population. Both these matters cannot be relied upon in this area.

Gate Crasher,

Would not smoke be reported to the fire authorities ? If, for example, the situation allows for flight operations and the smoke inhibits -or might inhibit - flight operations, anticipate some inquiries.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you are under attack and being fired at Pragmatist I doubt that attracting authorities is much of a concern to you. If you run out of your house into easy view of your attackers they will probably shoot you. If you have a practiced route out and away you know it and they don't so they can't see you or even chase you until you get some distance out. Smoke is the next best thing to darkness when you are on a home court. You know what is there and your attackers don't. A few well-placed leg breaker holes that you could avoid would probably slow down any pursuit in the smoke or darkness too.

12. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    Never been an issue, and we are pretty remote and surrounded by state and federal forest. More smoke is produced by burning leaf piles on any given weekend around here, these are just more compact and easy to ignite. Wouldn't test on a red flag (no burning) day of course. And along the lines of what Tex said, in the real situation who cares? ;)

13. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TexDanM,

Smoke and darkness can stop the local 4-H Club and some junior ROTC kids; not applicable to others here.

The "leg brake holes" are habitat for non-livestock.

Gate Crasher,

I know this has never been an issue. The BIG project now - think of FDR's Rural Electrification Administration - is to have authorities cover most (very technical here) of the US with drone aircraft.

My point is that in a "real situation" better thoughts for planning are now required.

14. GateCrasher

247/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm not following. For testing purposes, smoke b0mbs are legal in my state and burning leaves/slash (e.g., bonfires) is legal except in very dry conditions and usually produces much more smoke than these do. In the real situation, under fire and needing to evacuate my home, why would I care if a government drone sees my smoke?

15. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a "GREAT" short story........All his stories are very good, and show "original" thinking. But for some reason this story, gave me a strong fearful uneasiness.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/the-ghost.4199/

There is being kind'a somewhat "prepared". And then there is thinking about the many possible futures, and being prepared for them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  16. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Gate Crasher,

If smoke is in the air and drone cannot properly photo transmit, other programs could/would get activated by authorities to stop home invaders. Interfering with flight operations hinders the public safety program.

It's all new here also.

Understand from older post that the "bonfires" were legal less red flag restrictions.

17. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    If being attacked by criminals having the government show should be good. If being attacked by the government they would know the second that you pop smoke anyway.

18. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    E&E is my first plan. There are times when a fight to the death is necessary; if it ever comes time to water the tree for example. Otherwise, live to fight another day.

19. pacmantacman

pacmantacman Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Hiding is an option like any other. It’s all problem solving. It might save you in one situation and trap you in another.

20. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Decision depend on the situation and your ability to carry them out. Being chased up to the top of the Empire State building and having to jump off to escape, sounds like a real bad day, unless of course you had the presence of mind to have your parachute located up there.

The Innkeeper, Sourdough and Caribou like this.
  21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In the country, it is common to have a burning barrel and just burn your trash. I lived for 15 years with a burning barrel for trash disposal. Smoke is so common that it isn't noticed as long are there isn't a burn ban in effect. The military has been using smoke grenades for a long long time. they use them to cover strategic withdrawals and to mark a spot for carpet bombing or to mark where they are so as not to be bombed.

22. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Smoke bombs, smudge pots, or what ever you can devise (preferably ahead of time) that will blind the enemy from shooting at you or delay them following you is always a good ides. Added bonus points, mosquitoes are not to fond of the smoke pots either. Just remember, smoke blows both ways, have YOUR gas masks real handy.

23. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "He who runs away lives to fight another day", old childhood poem.

24. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    Hiding is often a very great way to go. The goal is to survive. I suspect that there is a time and place to go out in a blaze of glory, but you only get to do that once.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Look up Priest's hole and bolt-hole. You need to think about having one that is better than just running out the back door or hiding under the bed or in the basement.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    At night in a S.H.T.F. situation I might be hiding but not like some are planning . I will be spending my nights hiding in the brush OUTSIDE of my retreat , guarding my stuff inside my house as well as things outside . Weapon of choice 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot . I have a very alert watch dog to help me detect anyone near . hopefully my sleep pattern will return to my combat days , when the slightest noise would awaken me . If there are any that might escape , I have my blood hound for trailing them down .

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.