Pig Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by ColtFord, May 10, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    In your opinion what is the most effective rifle or caliber to use for feral pig/wild boar hunting?

Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      425/460

Blog Posts:
    I have known people to use .44 magnum in an underlever, others use a 12 gauge shotgun. Personally I favour the larger calibers, a charging boar can take some stopping sometimes! I used to use a .45/70 Marlin 1895 underlever. These days I use a .60 caliber.
    ed7bd2fc3ec141ed319faf98addd3983.jpeg
    Keith.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A lot depends on what you want the rifle to do. Around here where hogs are a problem and like an infestation, a lot of people use 5.56 ARs because you can shoot them and let them run off to die and not have to deal with the body.

If you are hunting them for meat in brush country you can't beat a lever action 44 mag. But a 30-30 will do a nice job too. I like the lever action carbines for their shorter fast action. Hogs are not friendly prey and can tear you up. In brush where they might be close, you want a little extra in the way of stopping power. A 12 ga shotgun with slugs wouldn' be overkill.

At distances of 100 yards or more a scoped 308 bolt action or any of the many larger bore bolt actions will do a nice job. A Nagant will work. They are surprisingly accurate and with commercial loads good stoppers on par with a 30-o6.

PS: Kieth, the 45-70 is a good answer for nearly anything. It is one of the great all-around loadings right up there with the 30-06.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    That's good to know. Wild boar meat is safe because it rarely becomes infected with the triciknosis (sp) parasite. Other feral pigs though do present a health problem.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    Good thread!

I have not heard this before, but maybe I've been isolated in my neck of the woods too long?

I went looking for more information and found reputable sources too numerous to list here, but the Google search phrase, "wild boar trichinosis" will give you an idea of what I came across:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...0j69i57j0l4.4721j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm just happy that thoroughly cooking any kind of hog/boar meat renders it safe because that's some fine eating!

6. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    When hunting boar in the swamps, I use a 12 ga with 3" slugs. Sight lines are often very short due to all the underbrush. Often times you only get one shot.

7. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pig of any kind is a meat that you need to cook really well. Pigs are amazingly similar to people in their health and general body chemistry. You can give a pig a cold and he can do the same for you. The parasites that can live in them will live in you and EAT YOU UP if you don't cook the meat enough to kill any possible parasites or bacteria. I suspect that after a Jewish person watched someone die from a parasite they got from eating poorly cooked pork they decided that God didn't want them eating his pig!! A boar is just the name for an adult make swine and can carry all sorts of thing too.

Domestic pigs are inspected and treated to prevent this in most cases but nonetheless, people eat pork well done. Most of what we have around here are feral hogs descended from escaped domestic stock. Over the years though some idiots have released Russia Boars and now we have them interbreeding with the piney woods rooters. what that means is bigger, more aggressive and dangerous hogs. We kill them in mass but they are breeding faster than we can kill them. Most hunters kill them year around and then kill one or two in the winter to mix with venison to make sausage.

In one night a herd of hogs can turn a field that is nearly ready to harvest into a field that looks like it has just been plowed, disked and ready to be rowed up and planted.

8. Sonofliberty

170/173

Blog Posts:
    OTOH, pit roasted pig is some of the best eating anywhere. Seasoned with wild onion and garlic. Just great eating.

9. ColtFord

ColtFord New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Actually according to sources I have read wild boar meat is not afflicted with the parasite that causes trichinosis. Or that particular parasite is rare. It is true about cooking the meat of other feral hogs well to prevent any type of sickness. I think it is also important to have a decent scope on your rifle and of course shot placement is always key to good hunting.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Pigs really are about some of the best eating that there is. Life without bacon would truly TRAGIC!!! At one time the place where I used to live we built a rotary pig cooker out of a 500-gallon propane tank. It had a firebox on one end and then in the body of the tank, we made a spit that would hold an entire pig that weighed about 150 pounds alive. We put a variable speed motor on that thing and would smoke and roast the hog all night before parties. Lordy, that meat was good.

11. watcherchris

watcherchris Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    My fathers people are Hawaiian. They cook their pig Luau style in the ground. It s' good....very nice.

But I've been here on the border of Virginia/North Carolina long enough to have developed a taste for Pig cooked their way....coals or wood around it on a spit. And boy oh..boy do I ever love a good pork barbecue sandwich.

In Hawaii...the feral pigs are tearing up the flora and fauna....the habitat for certain ground nesting birds and other creatures.. They are a nuisance in Hawaii as well.

To illustrate how strong a pigs jaws are....the Macadamia nuts sometimes fall to the ground...in their green fruit with the nut inside. It looks sort of like a green orange. Then it dries up and the macadamia nut inside is exposed. This is a very hard shelled nut...very hard ..harder than a Brazil nut. The pigs come down into the Macadamia nut groves and crush these Macadamia nuts in their jaws.
    I cannot even guess at what that is in pounds per square inch but it must be up there.

My cousins and nephews often hunt and trap them in these Macadamia nut groves.

But some of them with bigger ones hanging between their legs......hunt them the olde ways..with dogs and spears.

Not me ......12 gauge slugs....30-30...or .308!!! or even my .41 Magnum...lever gun and matching Blackhawk.

I don't need that much excitement in my life that I need to use a spear...on a wild pig.

And I have an Assegai Spear. I just have no ambition to adjust a wild pigs "pissed off" attitude with a spear.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    A boar spear has a cross piece on it because a boar will charge right up the spear to get to you and tear you UP. the cross piece is to prevent that. Note the cross piece and the long shaft.
    5de33bdc3d2893051e2f7d5422fa2c28.jpeg

Assegai Spears have no cross piece and a shorter shaft. They only hunt lions with these.

In India, the wild boars are considered more dangerous to hunt than tigers.
    v4EEKBTK_SAZ1DRT87cKK5ztJx0YG_fn.jpeg

The European, Russian and Indian Boars are truly BAD monsters. Personally to me hunting either with a spear is hard to imagine. Those guys must have to have a wheelbarrow to haul their balls around in!!!! Or they are CRAZY!!!

13. GrizzlyetteAdams

230/345

Blog Posts:
    +100% to that!

The video in post #3 in the thread linked below is also that special kind of crazy... Hunting boar with a primitive atlatl. Imagine that.

https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/what-is-a-atlatl.6118/#post-41778

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know, an atlatl is amazingly powerful. A lot of the ladies that my wife works with are big into hunting and two of them have taken boars with bow and arrow. I might do that but I would do it from a danm stand in a TREE!

My wife is a dental Hygienist and the office she worked in for years had some of the most hunt crazy people there that I've ever seen. They all carried a concealed weapon at work including the dentist. On the weekends they would get together and have a hog hunt. The Dentist closed early on the Friday before deer season so everyone could get their stands and stuff finished.

There is one little dental assistant (5'2" and about 1110) that if she ever thinks about it will probably think that poking a big a$$ boar with a pointy stick might sound fun.

Hey Mizz Grizz, you lived in South Louisianna. I know that you have known cajun ladies that would take on a boar with a broom. I actually saw that one time. They got on her porch after some dog food. Them cajun ladies don't know what back up IS.

15. GrizzlyetteAdams

230/345

Blog Posts:
    True, dat! My mama would say something like, "The AUDACITY of that (pig/gator/or 4-legged thug)!" She was not quite five feet tall and weighed 109 pounds, but thought nothing of standing up to anything or anyone who would do her or us kids any harm. Although we witnessed that fact many times, we kids were normal (at the time) and had normal respect for things bigger than ourselves. I remember more than a few spectacular incidents...but the funniest was seeing her knocking a would-be thief out cold with her heavy purse. That was an empowering moment for me as a little girl...and my life has never quite been the same since, lol.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  16. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I am a big fan of the 45-70. You really never know what kind of monster hog you might run into. I want something that will drop it in its tracks.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  17. Sonofliberty

170/173

Blog Posts:
    I have been considering a 44 carbine. Any thoughts on those?

18. Morgan101

Morgan101 Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    A 44 carbine would be a good choice for medium game. I have always been a huge sucker for lever actions, and I love having a rifle and handgun with the same caliber. I have always wanted a Henry, but they can be a little pricey, and I 'm sure there are other choices. You do have a choice of ammo; either 44 special or 44 magnum. Can you tell I like options and versatility?

Here is a link that shows some ballistic tests between rifle and handgun. They look like they would get the job done.

Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 2:35 PM
  19. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wish that I had bought and kept one of the Ruger 44 mag semi-auto carbines. It was like a 44 mag 10-22!! The 44 mag in a lever action carbine is a stopper and a great brush gun. My only issue is that the carbines don't fit me well and the 44 mag kicks like a mule to me. that is strange because I have no problem with bigger calibers in Rifle-sized guns.

Miz Grizz one of the things that I know as a fact here is that before women's lib came along, at least in Texas and South Louisianna, A young man, no matter how big he was, messed with a little lady. Our Mama's had indoctrinated us with the certainty that to do so was instant death!!! My wife used to laugh at the convicts because the older guys ALL instantly responded to her when she gave them the stink eye. Their Mama's didn't raise any fools they knew what that look meant! Younger women sometimes had problems handling them but the older ladies were walking embodiment of the MAMA MOJOE and they didn't cross it.

A lot of the things about the way women were treated needed to be changed but as a sweet little old lady told me one time on the subject. "Piss on Equality! Why would I step down and accept THAT!??" My Dad was a 6'4" monster and he wore the pants in our house...but MAMA ran the house and if he wanted to push it the pants were about all he ran. Mama let him do whatever he wanted to do but strangely he mostly did what made MAMA happy. In some ways I think that the womens lib was an iffy win for most ladies.

20. GrizzlyetteAdams

230/345

Blog Posts:
    Women's "Lib" has devolved into the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to womankind! I am ashamed for them. They are not MY species of animal. Ugh. And here they are, giving us REAL women a bad name...

May the fleas of a thousand dogs invade their stupid you-know-what hats.

Signed,
    I-will-draw-bathwater-for-my-man-and-bring-him-a-sammich-too

21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My wife takes good care of me. I also massage her feet and will paint her toenails. Isn't that how things are supposed to go??

22. GrizzlyetteAdams

230/345

Blog Posts:
    Haha! I love this place! Where else can you have a rollicking good thread about hog hunting, complete with a nice variety of good rifles, shotguns, spears, spearthrowers (atlatls), wild hogs, boars, AND massaging women's feet and painting their toenails... all in one grand thread?!?

I will never, evah be bored here!

23. Sonofliberty

170/173

Blog Posts:
    Nothing wrong with painting your wife's toenails. What I liked was brushing her hair, getting a good back scratch in return was icing on the cake.

24. watcherchris

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I used t o enjoy massaging my lady friends feet...while watching television.

But I will admit..there was an ulterior motive. Soon enough she was out like a light and I got the remote controller!!!!

I never could stand watching Dr. Phil or that bald headed guy who worked for Jerry Springer. Never liked Jerry Springer as well.

Watcherchris,
    Not an Ishmaelite.

25. GrizzlyetteAdams

230/345

Blog Posts:
    It just keeps getting better and most betterest in here!!! Y’all are good ones to ride the river with!

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  26. watcherchris

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Yeah...TexDanm...is this not called by some in social/Economic terms........"Division of labor!!??"

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.