The Cache Thread Collection, Plus Tips And Tricks

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by GrizzlyetteAdams, Jul 22, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    For those who don't know what a survival cache is, it's a collection of items stored in a hidden or alternate place for future use.

If you needed to leave your home for some reason (fire, etc. etc.) with only the clothes on your back or with limited supplies, and if you had the necessities for survival stashed away safely ahead of time, you would not be destitute.

Jerry D. Young is famous for his attention to details: https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=922728 (two important posts of particular note are #10 and #11).

IBME has been caching for over 60 years and has it down to a science. Although he lives in a location that is more remote than most people do, the same principles can apply to almost anywhere.

https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...16538-the-leatherman-this-is-a-wonderful-read

https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/building-small-wilderness-survival-dwellings.6121/#post-41104

https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/caching-experience-for-firearms-and-ammo.6104/#post-48333

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. GrizzlyetteAdams

360/460

Blog Posts:
    This thread is a call for anything that you may know of that that may be useful for expanding on this topic.

What say you?

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good idea.
    c570191f242b4a0c105df056adae9bda.jpeg Keith.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Aussies have been stashing guns underground for years using poly sewer piping with screw on rubber seal caps. Easy to construct & easy to bury/conceal. I would imagine since the firearm confiscation (buy-back!) in New Zealand there will be a lot of this type being used over there as well.
    Keith.

5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      477/575

Blog Posts:
    If you bury metal objects,( I don't know if PVC piping will conceal metal) be sure to spread a lot of metal junk (bottle caps, rusty bent nails, can pull tabs, etc. around the area. Drive metal detectors nuts.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

360/460

Blog Posts:
    Bottle caps, can pull-tabs, and rusty nails may be too small of a footprint? If I buried metal items, I would consider laying a few trash heaps over the "Back 40" part of the property. Things like scrap metal, old broken lawnmowers, etc. have a larger footprint that would be obvious to a thug with a metal detector, and if the trash heaps are located in an out-of-the-way part of the property it would probably look a lot more normal than if they were too close to the house.

Speaking of metal, if I were trying to hide a large propane tank to thwart theft, I would definitely camouflage it with the same kind of trash pile.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was considering hiding some buried caches, it was on OPP (Other People's Property), hence the small metal items. On my property, I like MsGrizz ideas. (Yes I stole the Ms Grizz, ), I have no shame.

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

360/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    Just like having a secret "Rabbit" hole to make a hasty exit, having a secret cache is important too. Problem is where, how and what. Hiding stuff on property you do not own and control, is not on my to-do list. So the where is property you control. How, that has many possibilities but again lots of design and testing issues--- size of items to be cached, location of cache, weather exposure on cache, ground type, and more variables than I can name. The what is a bit more simplistic but maybe the most important.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back in different days several of us got together and buried totally illegal weapons in a guys carport. He was building it and so we went in the night before he poured the concrete and laid in our illegally held weapons. the rebar and wire were not used in the middle and the concrete was only 4" thick there. As far as I know, this stuff stayed there for over 20 years and was still usable when retrieved and sold.

This stuff was acquired not long after we pulled out of Vietnam and one of our member's brother managed to "adjust inventory" on base and dispose of excess unwanted "materials". There was a lot of this as they were bringing people home and reducing the numbers of active duty on bases. Things like starlight scopes became available along with REAL military arms and not the civilian versions.

There never was a civilian version of an M-60 or frags and they became available. We also had a contact in the Houston PD that was in charge of the disposal of confiscated firearms. They would melt them down. Some "evaporated" before they could be melted though. I can talk about this sort of thing now because the individuals involved are mostly dead. I was a young sprout in the group.

These were turbulent years and I was seriously worried about things just devolving into bedlam. There were a lot of race problems and the government was suddenly not nearly as trustworthy as we had thought in the past.

TMT Tactical likes this.