The Cache Thread Collection, Plus Tips And Tricks

Discussion in 'Other Advanced Survival Skills' started by GrizzlyetteAdams, Jul 22, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    For those who don't know what a survival cache is, it's a collection of items stored in a hidden or alternate place for future use.

If you needed to leave your home for some reason (fire, etc. etc.) with only the clothes on your back or with limited supplies, and if you had the necessities for survival stashed away safely ahead of time, you would not be destitute.

Jerry D. Young is famous for his attention to details: https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=922728 (two important posts of particular note are #10 and #11).

IBME has been caching for over 60 years and has it down to a science. Although he lives in a location that is more remote than most people do, the same principles can apply to almost anywhere.

https://survivalforum.survivalmagaz...16538-the-leatherman-this-is-a-wonderful-read

https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/building-small-wilderness-survival-dwellings.6121/#post-41104

https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads/caching-experience-for-firearms-and-ammo.6104/#post-48333

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    This thread is a call for anything that you may know of that that may be useful for expanding on this topic.

What say you?

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good idea.
    c570191f242b4a0c105df056adae9bda.jpeg Keith.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Aussies have been stashing guns underground for years using poly sewer piping with screw on rubber seal caps. Easy to construct & easy to bury/conceal. I would imagine since the firearm confiscation (buy-back!) in New Zealand there will be a lot of this type being used over there as well.
    Keith.

5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    If you bury metal objects,( I don't know if PVC piping will conceal metal) be sure to spread a lot of metal junk (bottle caps, rusty bent nails, can pull tabs, etc. around the area. Drive metal detectors nuts.

6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Bottle caps, can pull-tabs, and rusty nails may be too small of a footprint? If I buried metal items, I would consider laying a few trash heaps over the "Back 40" part of the property. Things like scrap metal, old broken lawnmowers, etc. have a larger footprint that would be obvious to a thug with a metal detector, and if the trash heaps are located in an out-of-the-way part of the property it would probably look a lot more normal than if they were too close to the house.

Speaking of metal, if I were trying to hide a large propane tank to thwart theft, I would definitely camouflage it with the same kind of trash pile.

The Innkeeper and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was considering hiding some buried caches, it was on OPP (Other People's Property), hence the small metal items. On my property, I like MsGrizz ideas. (Yes I stole the Ms Grizz, ), I have no shame.

8. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just like having a secret "Rabbit" hole to make a hasty exit, having a secret cache is important too. Problem is where, how and what. Hiding stuff on property you do not own and control, is not on my to-do list. So the where is property you control. How, that has many possibilities but again lots of design and testing issues--- size of items to be cached, location of cache, weather exposure on cache, ground type, and more variables than I can name. The what is a bit more simplistic but maybe the most important.

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back in different days several of us got together and buried totally illegal weapons in a guys carport. He was building it and so we went in the night before he poured the concrete and laid in our illegally held weapons. the rebar and wire were not used in the middle and the concrete was only 4" thick there. As far as I know, this stuff stayed there for over 20 years and was still usable when retrieved and sold.

This stuff was acquired not long after we pulled out of Vietnam and one of our member's brother managed to "adjust inventory" on base and dispose of excess unwanted "materials". There was a lot of this as they were bringing people home and reducing the numbers of active duty on bases. Things like starlight scopes became available along with REAL military arms and not the civilian versions.

There never was a civilian version of an M-60 or frags and they became available. We also had a contact in the Houston PD that was in charge of the disposal of confiscated firearms. They would melt them down. Some "evaporated" before they could be melted though. I can talk about this sort of thing now because the individuals involved are mostly dead. I was a young sprout in the group.

These were turbulent years and I was seriously worried about things just devolving into bedlam. There were a lot of race problems and the government was suddenly not nearly as trustworthy as we had thought in the past.

11. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    This is a good thread worthy of current discussion.

TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.
  12. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Learned this years ago. Good info.

Attached Files:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I read in the mid '90s in the magazine Popular Mechanics or Popular Science that there were Russian caches all over the United States. I think they were placed here during the Cold War.

Being interested in all facets of the spycraft, I'm very familiar with caches and deaddrops.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    caches are not on my to do list principally because I wont be bugging out but also the question of not being able to control them if they aren't on ones own land or property, could come back and find a house or barn built on top of it!! okay if its stuff one can afford to lose I suppose!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Like you Lonewolf I am pretty much locked in place and bugged in. Nonetheless, I have a couple of small caches. Being prepared means that I try to prepare for as many events as possible. Unlike where you live we have guns...a lot of them. I can envision circumstances where the government here might fall to the insanity that you live under. If I decide not to make them pry my guns out of my cold dead fingers then I will want to have some of my resources hidden for later when I might change my mind about accepting slavery. There can also be fires or raiders that you just can't fight off. If I run then I have something to run too.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  17. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Everyone's situation ,personality , and capabilities are different so I can't dispute that for some running from their primary residence and retreating to a cache may be their best option . For me I am like Lonewolf on this issue running and abandoning my survival retreat to a bunch of thugs is not my plan . I view any fools attacking my retreat as sort of like receiving an unexpected present . Likely we would be collecting guns and more ammo off their dead corpses .

18. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Has everyone here watched these videos or read the books about "One Mans Wilderness". I lived near Dick, I was on the North shore of Lake Clark, I chatted with him a few times. I mention this because this is pretty much how I have lived most of the last 50 years.

So.....you can see that his cabin and my current cabin are roughly the same. My current cabin is one open room, 10 feet by 22 feet. It is not a place I want to be caught inside of, under attack. My greatest skill is surviving alone in the wilderness, so I feel, if I was to come under attack, my best plan is don't get trapped inside here.

Outside of the cabin I would have the advantage, against most. But not highly skilled professional elite military warriors, with super equipment.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...=Dick+Predenkoe+One+mans+wilderness&FORM=VDRE

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    TMT Tactical, Alaskajohn and Caribou like this.
  19. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    This thread has got me thinking and I have come up with an idea for a small cache. A 5 to 7 gallon bucket with a Gamma Lid. Wrap 1/2" to 3/4" nylon (or other synthetic) rope around the outside of the bucket with the rope touching the previous wrap all the way up and with a long tail on top. This will need to be taped in place. Put the bucket inside a heavy duty plastic bag and bury it.

To recover the cache, dig down and reveal the top. Pull the tail of the rope letting the rope spiral off the bucket, leaving a narrow space all around the bucket. Then lift out the bucket and reclaim the plastic bag.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  20. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    The feds will have six ways to Sunday to get a man if that wanted. You will never beat them. Knowing that, my strategy has always been to fly under the radar. Do nothing to stand out and keep a super low footprint. Then when you slip off into the night, they won’t be looking in your direction.

poltiregist, Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  21. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are other types of "things" that are not classified as guns that can do the job just as well and don't make so much noise, and don't think just because we have strict licencing laws that there are no guns in the UK, because there are.
    as I have said before Britain dosent have the pioneer history that the USA does and well over 80% of the population lives in cities with city attitudes, a large evacuation isn't going to happen in the UK, we don't have the extremes of weather that some parts of the US does and most of the population does not have the skills, knowledge or desire to want to live in the wild, most of them think there is nowhere safe in the UK and no point in trying.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Even in the US there is a huge difference in the way people see the world that we live in. The is easiest to see in the difference between the ant pile megacities and the entire rest of the nation. People in the megacities are totally separated from nature that is real. I'm sorry folks but a city park isn't nature. They are totally dependent on people that don't live in the ant piles to support them. Huge cities are like black holes that suck in resources at ever-increasing rates. After a few generations of living like this these people lose any understanding of what is real in the sense of nature and natural.

They have no baseline understanding about where food comes from, how it is produced, how to preserve it and more and more how to actually cook it. Popping things in the microwave, oven or pouring it into a pot and heating it is NOT cooking. This leads to a form of insanity overtime where you see people begin to think that you don't need anyone to live in any other way than theirs. They do almost nothing for themselves. They depend on others to provide them with food, clothes, security, medical treatment of even the smallest things.

Lonewolf, there is nothing that I know of that can take down a man at several hundred yards that is anywhere near as effective as a gun. You might note that even the poor slow to load and fire muzzleloaders made bows and arrows a losing proposition in any war.

People that live and accept taking personal responsibility for their own survival want to be as well prepared as possible to do it. For hunting, a gun is better than any other projectile weapon or hunting tool. The same is true of self-protection. if ANYBODY is going to have guns, I WANT them too, otherwise, in the event of collapse, I will be dead meat if attacked by people with guns.

There is no possible way that the people in America could be totally disarmed. The number of guns in the hands of private citizens in unimaginable. There is no way that even the most draconian measures could take them all. Just the gun owners in Texas would be a number greater than the armies of a nation. In places where most people are disarmed, they develop the idea that they don't need them. I wonder how many people even where you live have actually given up all of their guns and not hidden some of them away. Surely not EVERYBODY there are sheeple. It is a lot like the old saying. "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man will be king." In some ways having fewer guns will make those that have them even more powerful.

If you think that people without guns can resist those that do check out what happened to the native Americans. lds so different that it is hard to imagine for each of us. In the event of TEOTWAWKI, the world that we will each have to deal with will be vastly different. We are not as far from the cave as your people. We hunt, fish, garden, farm, sew, build, can/preserve and cook, out here in the rural wild country. The difference in the world for people like me will be much less drastic than it will be for the people in totally artificial urban environments. From what you say the number of people sort of like me compared to the urban sheeple is very different where you live.

In Texas I figure about 40 percent are sheeple. Even the people in the cities hunt and fish and garden and own LOTS of guns. This will be both an advantage and equally a danger. I suspect that here the death rate among the non-sheeple will be much higher than it will be for your people. But then there will be more of us because there are more of us and the sheeple won't last a month.

Caribou, Old Geezer and TMT Tactical like this.
  23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a country where most of the population dosent have access to a gun or indeed want access to a gun people with guns are not my main concern.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can understand that. In a place where people start getting guns when they are children and almost everyone where you live has a lot of them then you can understand why they are very important to me and people like me here.

Caribou, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  25. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In highly weapons-regulated Sweden there is now a problem with grenade and AK-47 attacks.

https://summit.news/2019/06/13/swed...missed-by-the-media-now-a-national-emergency/

Britain is now importing savage people and so these savage people extend their weapons' supply lines into Britain from wherever they came from, Eastern Europe (infinite supply of abandoned/stolen Soviet Block military armaments) or the Middle East (where there are never-ending wars).

Even the communist BBC must admit to certain realities:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-39578500

The phenomenon has been going on for years now
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...ars-in-england-where-guns-are-banned-n1464528

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/gun-free-great-britain-scores-horribly-violent-crime

Even in rural areas such as Devon, the metastasis of savagery is gaining a foothold.
    https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/teen-gangs-plaguing-devon-towns-3878366

Germany, the same
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...-huge-stockpile-of-weapons-near-German-mosque

It may not be happening right this minute, however the social cancer is spreading ... with armaments. When local police forces are overwhelmed with illegally-armed low-breeds, how is it that the local people will handle these swarms? The scum IS heading out into the countryside in America, in Britain, everywhere in the West.

Here in this tiny town of mine in the middle of Heartland America, it is mainly the scum killing the scum, however this is a portent of things to come. Within a thousand yards of where I live, this year a crew of trash left a larger town 40 miles away and committed a home invasion, beating-up the couple who lived in that house. I wish that these home-owners had been armed and killed the inferior invaders.

26. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    At the start of WWII GB advertised in America asking Americans to send them their privately owned firearms and ammunition so they could arm their people. Many Americans helped GB out.

At the same time Japan didn't want to invade America because "There will be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

1. Old Geezer
      Leftist invaders (American traitors) are using the Chinese Covid-19 spread to backdoor-in their communist dictates. They should be put down like the soulless animals they are.

Old Geezer, Apr 11, 2020
      randyt, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  27. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Illegal immigrants in Great Britain have no problem purchasing military weapons in Great Britain. The weapons' supply lines not only arm minority gangs, but are readily available to local crime groups/families.

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2020/02/...imes-in-a-year-with-help-from-muslim-migrants

Communist press having to report a bit of truth concerning murderers using illegal weapons:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/feb/08/dale-cregan-trial-final-moments

Gun control laws push the price of firearms upward. That is all that gun control laws do, the ONLY thing such laws accomplish. Firearms will ALWAYS be available on the black market -- to believe otherwise is embarrassingly naive.

A burglar wishes to move up in the criminal world and become a robber. There is certainly more to be gotten when you go straight for the cash registers. So now the burglar needs to burgle to buy a firearm. OK, he has to burgle 10 homes to get the money. Uh-oh, guns are made illegal! What does the upwardly-mobile criminal have to do now?! He has to burgle 15 or 20 homes to get the money to buy the pistol. That he is going to be able to buy a pistol is not up for debate. Firearms are exceedingly crude technology -- they can be manufactured in tin-roofed shacks.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Philippine+illegal+gun+manufacturers&atb=v140-1&iax=videos&ia=videos

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pakistan+...rs&atb=v140-1&iar=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos

And in England also

I could distribute innumerable firearms to well-civilized people and their violence levels would NOT change one bit. The same is not true for others.

28. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    What to do about crime? Get rid of the perpetrators.

Due to the excessive mercy that exists in certain civilizations, we could put felons who can be saved into work camps where they can earn their food and mattress (no work = concrete floor, bread, & water). For the overtly aggressive incorrigibles, tie them to a stake and shoot them -- they are a disease.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  29. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    To those citizens of other countries:

Truth be told, we need firearms here in America.

Sure, we need them to hunt. However, our nation is full of "humans" who are given to violence. Mainly, savage people do the most harm to their own (they even go violent against the weakened elderly in their own communities; zero honor), however they do attack others . Being the "others", we are given no choice but to defend ourselves. Know that here in our country, sometimes the local citizens must come to the aid of our law enforcement personnel when those in uniform are overwhelmed by the hordes.

http://sightm1911.com/lib/ccw/officer_peril.htm

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    What you say is true old Geezer. Sheeple stayed at home while the wild ones came to America or as in my family via forced immigration via the New Georga penal colony from Great Brittian. Only after the continent was mostly settled and a little more civilized did the bean counters start to come but even then they were the more adventurous and maverick bean counters. We never stood much of a chance to be soft gentle people.

That is also why we have been the world's mercenary army for the last 150 years. Look at all the wars that we have fought in and the ONLY time once we had settled with England has war come here and that was us fighting among ourselves. We have basically gone to save the French twice and England once from Germans. We fought Japan mostly for China and the Philipines. They only hit us because we were kicking their butts via things like the Flying tigers and such.

Even before that, we were enlisting in foreign militaries to get into the war. My Dad's Brother was a Canadian piolet before December 7th. He then returned to the US as an already trained and experienced piolet. NATO is mostly the US promising to once again fight for the people of Europe if they are attacked. We are a nation of warriors. We don't do peace very well.

31. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

f1ca560ca99d5dfe1514cead1d0d42d6.jpeg
    When at Jefferson's grave, I attempt to recite my memorized prayers for the departed, however I always become crippled with emotion. Leave feeling unworthy of being there. I'm sure he knows how much I love him.

32. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

Damn right. And I've been saying that all over the Internet for years.

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.